71.

Danielle's POV

Three days later...

We stood in the vee of the lorries, the smaller one was holding the entirety of the horde in the quarry at bay at the west entrance. I roll my shoulders feeling tension seep through them. There are so many walkers, close to twenty-thousand.

Everything for the plan was completed. We had moved backwards along the path of the quarry where we we're going to do a practice run today to make sure everyone knows their jobs for tomorrow.

We have been working all morning, putting finishing touches on the fences and cars that would funnel the walkers where we want them to go. Once we are done with the practice run, Rick was sending everyone home to spend time with their families.

I look up at Daryl who stands beside me watching Rick. I bump his shoulder with mine affectionately. I'm looking forward to some alone time tonight. We've been so busy these last few days so we've hardly spent any time together and I've been helping Liam and Carl practice with their knives.

Daryl looks down at me, smirking, bumping my shoulder back as he winks. I smirk back as a blush makes its way up my neck.

Rick clears his throat drawing our attention. He stands on one of the cars, looking over all of us. "I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world. We have to come for them before they come for us. It's that simple. This is where it all starts tomorrow. Tobin get sun the truck, opens the exit and we're off. He hops out, catches up with his team at red staying on the west side of the road. Daryl gets on his bike-"

Rick gets cut off by a rumble behind him making my blood run cold. I tilt my head to look at the quarry.

"You see that?" Sasha calls. We all watch in horror as the force of the horde was finally too much and the ground beneath one of the lorry's blocking the east exit gives way. The exit that would send the entire horde home.

"It's open!" Sasha screams.

Yeah no shit Sash.

"We gotta do this now!" Rick yells as he jumps down from the car. "We're doing this now! Tobins group, get moving, go!"

I turn and move towards my group. I was going to be in the south side of the road with Rick, Michonne, Morgan and Carter. Daryl was pissed when he found out Carter was in my group but I understood Ricks reasoning. We needed to watch him.

Carter freezes, his eyes wide with fear. I wanted to punch across his face more than anything. "No Rick, we're not ready!" He protests like we have a say in the matter.

I don't think the walkers will want to wait while we make a decision, Carter.

Rick ignores him. "Sasha! Abraham!" He yells. "Damn straight!" Abraham yells as he and Sasha runs to his car. "We'll do it live."

"You meet Daryl at red." Rick commands. "Let him take them through the gauntlet." I stall at his words. This is new information. I don't like the idea of Daryl going alone. I turn to find him but so many people are running around.

I meet his gaze across the open expanse as he climbs on his bike. He eyes held mine and he dips his chin to me. "Love you." I mouth to him. "Love you." He mouths back as he jumps his bike.

"Go!" Rick yells to Abraham. "Rick!" Glenn yells running towards Rick. "I'll hit the tractor place." Rick nods. "Okay, who else?"

"I'll go." I step in, running over to Glenn. Daryl's head snaps to my direction and his lips thin into an angry line. Doing this now has denied him the time to lecture me. His eyes flicker to Glenn and then back to me. I smirk and turn away understanding his message.

The Walking Dead: Danielle GrimesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara