72. The Wolves

Danielle's POV

The air horn sounds out and makes me freeze. I try to pin point where it's coming from and my heart stops when I realise it's coming from home. Morgan looks over at me in horror. "Is that-" he doesn't get to finish as I cut him off. "Coming from home? Yeah." I nod.

Without another word, we tore off through the woods. All pain is forgotten. Nothing matters but getting back home. Morgan kept up with me as I dodge my way through the trees in the direction of Alexandria.

As we darted out of woods, I come to a sudden stop. A semi-truck had crashed into the wall and it's horn was blaring none stop.

Without hesitating, I run towards the truck and yank open the door. There is a walker inside and I can hear Spencer yelling from somewhere. I pull myself up and unsheath my claw, stabbing it into the walkers temple before it had a chance to notice me.

I push the walker back and lean down to switch the horn off. This close, my ears were ringing as I shake my head to stop it.

Spencer stood in the open drivers door with his hand shaking that held a knife. It looks as though his been standing there for a while. At least long enough that he should have taken care of the walker himself.

"What's going on?" I demand, my voice coming out sharply. More than I intended it too. But he has no excuse for not killing the walker and letting the horn blast as long as it did.

Spencer looks at me in shock as though he has just realised I'm here. His eyes run over my body and he takes a step back. I know what I look like with walker blood all over me and my knives strapped to me.

Dangerous.

Spencer's voice trembles as he answers but doesn't look at my eyes as he speaks. "Someone, a group, they got inside the walls. They're killing people."

"We need to get in there." I say glancing back at Morgan. He nods grimly and tightens his grip on his shaft. I look back at Spencer who still hasn't moved. "You coming?" I ask raising my eyebrows. He flinches as he finally brings his eyes to mine. I can see shame swimming in them as well as something else.

"Typical." I scoff as I turn back to Morgan. "Your arm." He says as I start to jog towards the gate, him following behind. I frown not looking at him. The gate is open. Wide open. You don't need to open the gate that wide for just a handful of people.

I slow myself as we walk through it, preparing myself just incase. When no one comes, I jerk the gate shut behind me and Morgan. It was loud so we would hear it opening again. "It won't matter when it starts." I say referring to my arm. He looks ready to argue but I start running.

We jog around the corner and slowed. There is a man chopping a corpse to pieces in the middle of the road.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

When he sees us, he holts. He is filthy and looks like he lives on the road. He smiles at us and it was a full bearing of rotting teeth. When he sees he has our attention, he swings the ax around easily. He's a big man, little over 6ft and judging by the motions of his ax, he's strong.

"Quick or slow?" The man asks us.

Morgan steps forward as though he was protecting me. Man, is he barking up the wrong tree. But it has its uses. The man isn't paying attention to me now and instead is solely focused on Morgan. I slowly raise my hand and draw a throwing knife.

"Leave." Morgan commands. "Please. You don't have to hurt us."

Yep, thats it Morgan. Talk nicely to the man who was chopping up an innocent person. That'll get him to leave.