89. Hilltop Pt.2

Danielle's POV

We waited in the library in tense silence as Jesus speaks to Gregory. A few moments later the door reopens and Jesus sticks his head in. "The doctor is finished with Gregory and will take a look at Dani." His eyes meet mine and gives me a small smile. "He'll meet you in the room you got cleaned up in earlier."

I nod and climb to my feet. I grimace again as I swallow. I don't think anything is majorly wrong but Jesus persists I get checked out by their doctor. I step towards the door and feel Daryl's hand at the small of my back.

We pass Jesus and he smiles at me and I feel Daryl tense behind me. I roll my eyes but only Jesus catches it and coughs out a laugh but fights to straighten his face as he holds the door open for us.

The doctor was waiting for us like Jesus said. He looks uncomfortable but I can't tell if it's because of me or Daryl's scowl that deepens when he notices the doctors tension.

The doctor clears his throat. "Please have a seat." He says politely as he motions to the bed. I sit in front of him as Daryl steps to the side, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest.

The doctor glances at Daryl then back at me. The fear evident in his eyes. But he takes a deep breath to compose him self. His hands are gently as they lift my chin and touch the tender skin of my neck. He has me open my mouth as he looks down my throat with a pocket flashlight.

"How sore is it on a scale of one to ten?" He asks, stepping back and turning off his light.
"A three." I reply without hesitation. "No, one is low and ten is debilitating pain." He corrects. I nod. "Yeah, I know."

He frowns and leans forward once more to look at my neck then looks back up at me, the question clear as day on his face. "I've experienced a lot of pain, you get used to it." I say calmly.

I glance at Daryl seeing him shift restlessly. He doesn't like to think about the things I've been through. I think he feels guilty for some of them like the Claimers. Although none of what I've been through was he's fault and I ain't having him feel worse about what's happened to me.

The doctor frowns and looks over his shoulder at Daryl, his expression guarded. "Daryl's my husband. He wouldn't hurt me like that." I say firmly drawing his attention back to me. I ain't having him suspect Daryl of anything.

The doctor looks back at me, his eyes dropping to my knives and arches a brow but doesn't say anything. "Well, I'm sorry you were hurt but thank you, for defending us." He says taking a step back. "Your throat will be sore for a few days, it appears he bruised your larynx. The bruises on your neck-"

I cut him off before he can finish. "Will take a couple weeks to go away." I finish for him climbing to my feet. "Thanks for looking me over." I say politely as I walk back to Daryl.

Behind me I hear the doctor sigh. "Is there anything else I can do for you?" He calls. "Not yet doc." Daryl answers, holding the door open for me as I step outside, leading the way back down.

When we join the others, they're heading for the front door. Rick sees us and nods his head to us. He steps aside and let's the others out until we catch up with him. "Gregory took the deal." He tells us in a low voice. "Jesus is getting our supplies up front."

Rick and Daryl look at each as they realise what they have to do as I walk away from them to the front porch. I step up beside Abraham who's looking out at the community. He glances over at me. "About done playing Little House on the Prairie?"

I snort and Abraham turns to face me, a teasing smile on his face. "The doctor take a look at ya?" I nod, it still hurts to talk and I don't really feel like talking anyway. "Ya gonna live?" He teases. I smirk and nod. "Yep."