151.*

Daryl's POV

It had been hours since the first call went out, but then no confirmation came from further down the line. I paced for almost an hour, tense with anticipation for the up coming fight. They musta stopped, probably prepping nearby for an attack once full dark came. That's how I'd do it anyway.

I sit on downed tree, the airhorn clipped to my belt as I fiddle with the string on my crossbow, checking to make sure it's taunt. Tonight is going to be a tough one. Tougher than anyone realised. Rick and Michonne are still raw, not thinking clearly. Ezekiel and Maggie have their heads on straight, but there are a lot of wild cards back there. Morgan is barely hanging on and Dani....

I scrub a hand over my face. Dani is exhausted and so much has happened in the last week. She's taken on The Saviours, lost her nephew and had our home burned to the ground in front of her. I don't think she's thinking clearly. I know that. Just like I know her well enough to know I'm going to have to keep her close to me when the fighting starts. She's on the edge and it won't take much to push her over.

I still don't know quite where she's at. It's difficult to tell when she hasn't had any sleep. I know she's not okay. I know that without a doubt, but I'm not sure how much of her I've already lost to Simon and how much went to Carl.

It doesn't matter to me. I'd always love Dani no matter what happens. I was broke long before this shit started and that never scared her away. It's her ability to keep going, to keep fighting for the people she loves that makes her so amazing.

Simon can't take that from her. The Governor and many other assholes have tried and failed. Simon would just end up another asshole on the end of Dani's knife. I have no doubt about that.

I hear my bike before I see it. I turn towards where the road comes out of the trees waiting for her. No one else would dare use it without asking me. She likes driving it so it doesn't surprise me. I chew on my lip, hoping it isn't something serious. She had planned on staying back behind the fence until it was time. Something had made her change her plan.

She parks near me without meeting my eyes. She doesn't look upset but I run my eyes over her to reassure myself. She looks alright. I'm still worried about her, but can't help the pleased smirk that stretches my lips as she parks my bike and swings her leg over it. Her jeans are low on her hips and cling to her legs. She yawns and stretches her arms over her head, pulling her shirt up to expose a couple of inches of smooth skin.

She meets my gaze and catches me looking. I smirk at her unapologetically. She snorts and shakes her head. "Seriously." She grumbles but despite how tired she is, a shy smile pulls at her lips as a light blush covers her cheeks.

The fact that I can still make her blush makes me happier than it should. A full smile spreads across my face. It means that despite everything that's happened to her and everything we had faced, she's still here. I hadn't realised how worried I was that I had already lost her until that second.

"How's the day going?" I ask hoarsely, my voice is rough from lack of sleep and tight with worry. She sighs and flops down onto the log next to me, her movements are stiff but she seems to be favouring her ribs, like usual.

"That good, huh?" I tease gently. She nods, biting back a yawn. "You know me, making friends where ever I go." She's trying to keep it light, but there's a tightness to her words. Something had happened back at the community. No matter how much she did for them, how much she sacrificed for them, there are always going to be assholes who condemned her for what she did to survive. To protect her boy. I wanted to know who it was so I am set them straight.

"I'm surprised Maggie sent ya out here." I say instead, setting my crossbow down beside me. "She didn't really get a say in it." She says firmly.

I chuckle and nod, not surprised at all. When my wife decides something, there isn't a damn thing in this world that is going to convince her otherwise. I look down at her, just taking her in. "You know, I don't think you could get more beautiful." I compliment, gliding my fingers over her exposed skin.