46. The Barn

Danielle's POV

Daryl's fingers were gentle against my neck.  He hasn't done this since the prison. He doesn't take his eyes of mine. He looks different. Something happened. I don't know what but I would talk to him about it but now ain't the time.

He cups the side of my neck that he finished cleaning and moves to the other side, biting his lip in concentration. I hold my breath as I watch the rain fall down him, making him look hot.

Now ain't the time, Dani.

The wind picks up as we both turn towards the forest and the clouds above. They were rolling and angry. I suck in a breath. We need shelter. This storm was gonna turn nasty. The rain starts pounding harder as the thunder becomes more frequent and loud making nugget cry. Daryl touches my elbow lightly but is looking at Rick.

"Let's keep moving!" Rick calls over the rain.

"There's a barn!" Daryl yells to him.

"Where?!"

I drop down and grab the bottles, screwing the caps back on. I shove them and Daryl's into my bag before turning back to the group. Daryl nods to me to take lead with him. I look at Liam quickly making sure he's still with Carl before following Daryl.

We run through the forest as the rain pelts down on us. Each drop was hitting my skin making it sting. It's raining heavily, but feels like hailstones. We wove through the trees as Daryl leads us.

The barn was old and worn but it would have to do. I was soaked completely through and my clothes stuck to me like glue. I shiver as the wind picks up making my wet skin even colder. Daryl stops outside the barn and turns to us. "I didn't check it!" He yells to Rick. Rick nods and steps forward. He jerks his chin to Carol who steps with him. His eyes fall to Maggie and Glenn then to me and Daryl.

He wants us to help check it out.

His eyes fall to Abraham and he jerks his chin to the trees. Abraham and Sasha both turning to keep an eye out. I flick my eyes to Michonne then nod at the kids. She nods saying she got the message.

Rick and Carol lead the way through. Daryl bumps my shoulder lightly and holds up a finger in a pointing motion. He wants me to grab another knife. I think me and him have come up with a way of communicating without saying anything.

I pull out my claw and one of my smaller knifes and nod at him. He nods back and we step in together, shoulder to shoulder. Rick waves us to the right and we move off to scope it out.

It feels good to be working together again.

Once our side was clear, Daryl steps over to an open area of the barn and starts working on a fire with Glenn. I find Maggie standing in a door way looking at a dead walker. She makes a sad sound in the back of her throat. "She had a gun.....She could have shot herself."

I squeeze beside her and walk over to the gun. I pick it up and check the magazine, seeing a fully loaded clip. I put it back, before putting the strap over me. Maggie hasn't taken her eyes of the walker. Probably thinking about Beth.

"Well, some people can't give up. They won't, no matter what happens to them. Like us." I tell her making her look at me. She nods agreeing with me and turns back to the walker. I let out a sigh and squeeze back past her into the barn.

It seems everyone has gone off on their own to try and sleep. I look over at the back seeing Liam and Carl cuddled with Judith between them, keeping her warm. Carol and Michonne were sitting around the fire watching Glenn and Daryl build the fire up. There was a small pile of wet wood by their feet.