49. The Barn pt.4

Daryl's POV

Dani follows me through the trees. I planned a path that would lead us in a wide circuit around the barn. I keep my eyes on the ground searching for tracks as does she. So far there's was only one set I could find and it wasn't a walkers. They were Aaron's. He's been in the area a lot. I don't like the idea of him following us. He could know anything about us. Only me, Dani, Rick, Abraham and Michonne were fighters. Although Dani sometimes depends on the element of surprise.

"So....." Dani starts behind me but doesn't finish. I glance back over my shoulder, frowning. She had been strangely quiet during the whole Aaron fiasco. She only spoke up the one time and then didn't say anything else.

"You don't think he's lying?" I ask all though it wasn't really a question. Dani wasn't exactly good at hiding her feelings around me as much as she tries. "He isn't. Not a word." She replies confidently but her voice is tight. There's something on her mind. I stop and turn to face her. She's gripping her claw in her hand, looking around the forest.

She frowns up at me. "What's up?" She asks looking around again, not seeing anything that would make me stop. "Do you want to go? With Aaron?" I ask. It didn't matter to me where we go as long as we're safe and fed.

She licks her lips and looks back to the trees. "I don't know. If it's real, it's hard to pass up. A safe community with walls..." She stops for a sec gripping the claw tighter. "It would be stupid to pass up." She tells me honestly.

I step forward and brush my fingers against the back of her hand. She looks up sharply as though she's shocked I've touched her willingly. "What if it's like...." She trails off.

I tilt my head at her. She told me about a community she found when she was in the army. They had kidnapped her and basically beat her with in an inch of her life and forced her to fight with no weapons. She said it's why she has a hard time trusting. It's why she's on guard all the time.

"Like that community you told me about?" I finish for her. She looks up at me and there's tears swimming in her eyes and she nods. I sigh and wrap my free arm around her, bringing her to my chest. I brush my lips across her forehead. "You know I would never let that happen to ya again."

We stand hugging for a while before she pulls back slightly looking over my shoulder. "Dare." She nods behind me and I turn around seeing a walker coming towards us. I go to raise my crossbow when a knife lands in its forehead. A look back at Dani who shrugs and walks over to it.

She puts her boot on its chest before reaching down and pulling her knife out. I know now ain't the time but that position gives me a good view of her ass. I'm not paying attention as she turns back to me with her head tilted. "Mr Dixon, are you checking out my ass?" She teases. "Yes, I can if I want too." I confidently tell her.

Danielle's POV

I smirk. "Okay." I turn back to the tree line as I feel him come up behind me. His arm comes around my elbow pulling me back to him. He runs his nose up my neck, leaving a small kiss just below my ear, where my moon tattoo is, making me shiver.

"I'm okay, Dare." I promise him. "Yeah, I know." His voice rasps huskily against my ear. His breath warm against my neck. His fingers continue teasing down my arm. They glide across the sensitive skin of my wrist making me shiver.

"I know it won't happen again Dare. I know you and Rick will do anything to protect the family."

He wraps his hand over mine that's still holding the knife. "You ain't that woman no more, Nelle. You've changed.....and ya don't need me to protect ya but I'm gonna." He turns me around, taking the knife from me putting it in one of my sheaths. " 'Cause you're mine."

I reach up and gently cup his cheek, rubbing my thumb back and forth. His hair falling in front of his eyes and I brush it away. "You're right." I agree leaning forward, and kiss him. He kisses me back gently, gliding his lips across mine.

I pull back slightly. "We should get moving."
He nods and swings his crossbow back into his hands. "Let's go, darlin'." He turns and starts for the woods. I can't help the smile that crosses my face as I follow him.

This is the Daryl I know and love so well.

******

Once we finished our loop, Daryl and I stayed in the driveway keeping watch. I was very aware of Daryl's looks he gives me.

It's almost an hour before a white Buick and a motor home come down the road. The group piles out the vehicles, Abraham carrying a box. We all walk into the barn seeing Aaron and Rick talking again. There's a table full of canned goods. Rick grabs one and holds it up to Aaron. "This.....this is ours now."

"There's more than enough." Aaron smiles gently. "It's ours." Rick growls again as he can't believe Aaron would just agree to give up the bounty. Aaron only nods. He seems to be handling manic Rick well.

"It's ours, whether or not we go to your camp." Rick tells him. "What do you mean? Why wouldn't we go?" Liam asks him.

Michonne speaks up. "If he were lying or if he wanted to hurt us.....but he isn't and he doesn't." She looks at around at all of us. Her eyes stop at me and I nod agreeing. She gives me a grateful smile. "We need this." Her voice breaks with emotion and I know she needs it. I believe all of us need it. We've been on the road for too long.

I step forward. "We're going. All of us. As a family." I say firmly and Michonne nods. "If anyone feels differently, speak up." It surprises me when Daryl speaks up. "I don't know man. This barn smells like horse shit."

I bite back chuckle. 

"Yeah." Rick agrees after a minute. "Yeah, we're going." He turns back to Aaron. "So, where are we going? Where's your camp?" He asks.

Aaron hesitates for a moment. "Every time I've done this, I've been behind the wheel driving recruits back." It made sense. I had to respect that. "I believe your good people. I would bet my life on it. I'm just not ready to bet my friends lives on it."

Michonne stalks over to him. "You're not driving." She growls. "So if you want to get home you will have to tell us how." Aaron looks up at the map Rick laid out by his feet. "Go north on Route Sixteen."

"And then?" Michonne prompts. "I'll tell you when we get there." Aaron tells her. "We'll take twenty three north. You'll give us directions from there." Rick commands.

"That's-" Aaron starts to say before he sighs. "I don't even know how else to say it, that's a bad idea. We've cleared sixteen, it will be faster. Rick ignores him and turns back to us. "We leave at sundown."

"We're doing this at night?" I ask in disbelief. I definitely don't have a problem with us going but at night? It's a suicide run. I don't feel comfortable putting my son at risk.

Rick presses his lips into a grim line. "Look, I know it's dangerous-" he starts as I cut him off. "Yeah, no shit." I snap and he glares. "But it's better than riding up to the gates during the day. If it isn't safe we need to get gone before they know we're there."

I frown at him. "Rick. What if Daryl and I scope it out first? Wouldn't it be safer sending a few of us rather than sending the whole family at once?" I flick my eyes over to the boys and nugget.

Rick follows my gaze and shakes his head. "No we aren't splitting up. We're stronger together." He says. "No one is going to hurt you." Aaron promises. "You're trying to protect your family but you're putting them in danger."

"Tell me where the camp is and we'll leave right now." Rick counters. Aaron presses his lips into a thin line. He isn't going to answer him. Rick nods. "It's gonna be a long night. Eat. Get some rest if you can." He tells us before he walks out of the door, Michonne following him.

Aaron looks up at me seeing I have the same expression as him. We both aren't happy with Ricks plan.

A long night it's gonna be, indeed.