58.

Danielle's POV

After a second night of the group all sleeping on the floor, we all got up and dressed ready for our 'jobs'. I wore a pair of fresh jeans, a black tank top, and my boots. My knife sheath is wrapped around me tightly with all my knives sheathed securely.

Me, Glenn, Tara and Noah make our way to the armoury, where Deanna told us to meet Aidan. When we arrive Aidan and Nicholas walk up the stairs from the armoury. "Hey Dani." Aidan smiles at me and I nod at him. "Aidan."

"Glenn, Tara and Noah?" He points at the others and they all nod. "Nice too meet you properly. You met Nicholas on guard duty." He says. "Hey." Nicholas greets.

"You're Deanna's son?" Tara asks. "That's right." Aidens says before he turns to me and Glenn. "Heard you've both got experience with supply runs." We both nod as Glenn answers. "Saw your pantry. You guys seem to do pretty well."

"Yeah well, had some training before this. ROTC. I was nearing lieutenant when this shit started." He says casually but I can see he's trying to boast himself up. "My dad did ROTC." Noah says. "He didn't make it?" Aidan asks.

Does it look like he's here?

Noah looks down and shakes his head. "Nah." He mumbles. "I'm sorry." Aidan says sympathetically. "I'm sorry a lot these days. Come on, I'll show you the ropes."

"We're doing a run today?" Tara asks. "Just a dry run." Aidan shrugs. "Show you the terrain outside the walls, see how you do." He says. "What about weapons?" Glenn asks.

"Oh yeah." Aidan smirks. "We pulled out some sweet-ass biscuits for today." Nicholas takes out a few handguns out of his bag and hands them out. He holds one out to me. "I'm good." I tell him. "You need a gun." He tells me firmly.

"Oh boy." I hear Glenn mutter under his breath. I tilt my head at him, glaring. "Do I look like I need a gun?" I say motion to my knifes and he shakes his head. "It's required." He argues. "Yeah well, you can stick that requirement where the sun doesn't shine." I say to him. Glenn and Noah chuckle under their breath.

"Nicholas leave it." Aidan steps in. Nicholas sighs before backing off. "Alright let's get going." Aidan announces walking to the gate with us in tow. "This feels weird." Tara mutters to us. "We'll be fine. Let's just make sure there are no problems." Glenn tells her.

We followed Aidan out the gates across the street from Alexandria. I was slightly relieved as we walk away from the walls. Being behind a gate and big walls feels strange, almost claustrophobic. I needed to get out even just for a few hours. That's why I was quick to accept this job from Deanna. I can't stay behind the walls all the time. Just like I know Daryl can't.

"We're increasing our radius mile by mile." Aidan explains as we head into the woods. "Going in a semi-circle around time." He says. "We've made it fifty three miles out so far." Nicholas adds. "We break into two groups once we step outside our vehicles." Aidan continues. "Shit hits, we fire a flare. One group goes after the other."

"Good system." Noah says. "It is." Aidan nods. "Still, you're standing here because we lost four people last month." He adds. "What happened?" Glenn asks. "We were on a run. Roamers came out. They didn't follow the system." Aiden explains. "They were good people." Nicholas tells us.

"They were just scared. Look, I can be a hard arse. And I know I'm a douche bag. Someone's gotta call the ball around here, and that someone is me." He stops and turns to us. "If you're on this crew, you do exactly as I say. That means taking the weapons I give you, without argument." He finishes looking at me.

Oh, hell no.

I chuckle in disbelief. "I don't answer to you. I don't even listen to my own brother, what makes you think I'm gonna listen to you?" I question rhetorically. "Let me tell you something, Aidan. No man tells me what to do. And I'll use whatever weapons I want. And if I remember correctly, your mom put me in charge with you, so that means you're not the boss of me. It means means you work with me." He glares at me and scoffs, shaking his head.