53. Alexandria

Daryl's POV

So this was it. The fences and the gate are just like the pictures Aaron showed us. So far he hasn't lied. Dani was pretty convinced he wasn't a liar. He seems like a straight up guy but I wasn't gonna trust him yet until he proves himself. There's a tarp covering the gate, its good for security but I don't like that I can't see what we're walking into.

We sat outside in the RV as we wait and see what Rick wants to do. He slowly climbs out of the car looking as tense as ever. He stops half way out, his eyes fly over to Michonne and they both sag in relief. He looks back at the RV and waves. The others start piling out as Rick moves to the back of the car and lifts Lil-ass kicker out. He glances over at Carl and Liam saying something as Carl smiles back but Liam doesn't.

Rick thinks this place is safe enough for his family. I glance over at Dani but instead of looking at Rick, she was watching my expression. She gives me a small smile and follows the group out. I watch as Liam runs over to her as they both hug. I keep my eyes on her thinking about Terminus or the community she found. I grip my crossbow tighter and follow outside.

There are burnt houses lining the road leading up to the gate, guess they didn't make the cut. Makes me wonder how many houses are on the inside. Even from fifty feet away I can hear children laughing and playing. Everyone one was relaxed and smiling except Rick, Dani and Liam. Rick had his python in his hand and Dani's hands keep lifting to her knifes as Liam keeps his hand on the handle of his kukri. Rick leads the way to the gate as Abraham and Sasha hold up the rear. They both have their rifles up, resting on the bodies but ready.

The gate starts to open and there's a scuffle from the bins beside me. I raise my crossbow and take the shot into the pile of garbage. I step beside the bins just as the gate opens and lift up a dead possum. The guy on gate duty looked at me with wide eyes.

"We brought dinner." I quip trying to not make the guy afraid of me. Beside me Dani laughs quietly and so does Liam. I glance at them with a small smirk shaking my head.

Trust these two to laugh.

The guy standing at the gate had a gun up and was looking over each one of us. I kept my eyes on him but glanced back at the group. We looked like a strong group with a few exceptions.

Cough, cough.....Eugene.

My eyes glance back to Dani. Her fist keeps opening and closing. She's anxious. I go to say something as Liam grabs her hand linking it with his, relaxing her a little. He looks at me giving me a nod as I give him one back. That kid knows his mom like the back of his hand.

Aaron steps forward and stood in the gate between us and gate guy. "It's okay. Come on in guys." He says waving us all forward. We shuffle through the gate as a group. Once we were all in the gate slides shut behind us. I draw in a breath as I watch it shut.

If they were gonna ambush us, now would be the perfect time.

******

Danielle's POV

Once we were all inside, the guy on gate duty steps forward. He's in his late twenties, possibly early thirties. My first impression is he's weak. His eyes were wondering over us looking suspicious. His eyes hardened when he saw Ricks python that's in his hand. As happy as Aaron and Eric might be that we're here, this guy certainly isn't.

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons. You stay, you hand them over." He still has his hand on his gun but doesn't look comfortable with it. It reminds me of the first time I saw Noah holding a gun. I trust Noah with a gun now. This guy however... not so much. If we were staying, I do not want him on guard duty.

Rick steps forward, his shoulders set and tight. Despite his willingness to come inside he does not seem entirely convinced this was gonna turn out good. "We don't know if we wanna stay." He growls aggressively.

The guy steps back instinctively. As soon as he realised what he had done, he tightens his grip on his gun and moves towards Rick once more. I swallowed.

This could get outta hand.

Aaron slips through the group until he was standing between Rick and the guy. He looks at the guy. "It's okay Nicholas." He waves the man off. I study them both. It seems Aaron has more authority but I'm not sure Nicholas knew that. He seems as uncomfortable and tense with Aaron as he does with us.

Rick doesn't move his eyes from Nicholas. "If we were gonna to use them, we would have started already." He snarls. Nicholas's eyes widen and his whole body tenses. Aaron still stands between them. I roll my eyes, wondering how their testosterone hasn't killed me yet.

Aaron clears his throat uncomfortably. "Let them talk to Deanna first."

"Who's Deanna?" Abraham questions from behind me. Nicholas look at Abraham and wilts at the sight of the larger red headed man.

Aaron looks around at the rest of us so he was addressing the whole group. "She knows everything you'd want to know about this place." Which means she's the woman in charge. She's the woman we're gonna have to 'audition' for. "Rick, why don't you start?" Aaron asks.

Rick looks beyond the group out the fence. His brows drew into a frown. "Sasha." He calls jerking his chin at the fence. Sasha nods and turns. She spots the lone walker and raise her rifle, aiming it, not even hesitating in taking the shot. Nicholas flinches in shock as it's head explodes.

Rick turns back to him, his face perfectly impassive. "It's a good thing we're here." He drawls as he starts strolling through Alexandria.

Oh boy.