The protector

Lucy's POV

Today Barcelona played Manchester City in the Champions League. I was pleased to find out that both Keira and I were starting. We knew that City would play well but Keira and I were both feeling confident but I did know that Keira was a bit apprehensive with playing against her club.

Keira being a childhood fan of City made this game difficult for her but we both understood that we now played for Barcelona so we would do anything to get them through to the next round. Even if that meant knocking out City.

Keira and I lined up one after the other as we stood with our mascots in front of us. We shook the hands of Man City before getting into our positions.

As a team Barcelona love to keep possession and Keira is the clock that keeps us ticking. She was swiftly passing around her former teammates, angering them in the process.

Eventually Yui Hasegawa got frustrated and shoved Keira over. It was a professional foul so I didn't have an issue, we took the free kick and moved on.

From this free kick, Mapi scored belting it in the right top hand corner. Man City then grew angry as we restarted. Keira again was passing around them showing up the midfield in her former club.

I began to grow continuously frustrated as they were constantly fouling her. The ref wasn't even giving yellow cards! Keep your calm Lucy. I kept trying to tell myself.

That didn't go to plan as Keira was fouled twice in less than 4 minutes so I eventually stormed over to the referee. "I have lost count the amount of times that has happened ref! Where is the yellows?" I shouted.

Keira's POV

I have kept my patience over these fouls but it's really starting to annoy me now. I have just been on a receiving end of a bad timed slide tackle and this one slightly hurt. I stood up shaking it off when I realised my lovely girlfriend was over shouting at the referee. Terrific.

"Lucy! Luce! She's not worth it!!" I shouted whilst running over to my girlfriend. As I arrived more Barça players such as Mapi and Caroline started arguing with the ref too backing Lucy up.

I was about to intervene when some City players than came running over and got physical. This was the last thing I wanted to happen.

"Remember you left City Keira. That was your choice, now you gotta live with the consequences. Was the move that great Walsh? Or are you just living in the shadows?" I heard one of my former teammates shout. I felt my heart drop a bit, well that hurt.

I watched as Lucy's face went from angry to fuming. Lucy lunged forward at the crowd of players as I realised who said the comment. Bunny Shaw. Lucy was still going for Bunny and I don't think I have seen her look this angry in my life.

"Say that again you fucking coward" I heard Lucy shout as she shoved Bunny to the ground. I ran over to pull Lucy back before she done proper damage.

"Lucy stop. It's okay" I tried to calm her down as I pushed her away. Lucy looked at me with a surprised look on her face "Keira did you hear what she said about you? I am not going to let her talk to you like that".

I just nodded at my girlfriends words but still tried to remain calm. "I know I heard her. Although it would be no use if both of us were getting into fights right now though." I told my girlfriend as I placed a hand on her shoulder in attempt to die her anger down a bit.

I think it worked until the referee pulled Bunny and Lucy over. A yellow card. For just Lucy. Now I was getting angry as I tried to reason with the ref. She was having none of it and signalled for play to continue. What was happening right now?

I found myself still dictating the play and I eventually found myself open on the edge of the box. I received a pass from Caroline and I shot. I watched the disbelief on my former teammates faces as it went top corner in the goal.

I made the decision not to celebrate against Man City. The club was still my team even though I am not in good terms with some of those girls now. Although I didn't celebrate Lucy came running over to me and spun me around.

Luce made sure to turn to Bunny's direction as she shouted "Look who is in the shadow now. The defensive midfielder has scored before the striker has. Guess the move paid off huh Bunny?"

I watched Bunny hide her face in embarrassment as Lucy laughed. I was thankful to my girlfriend honestly. Sometimes I struggled to stand up for myself but Lucy never hesitates before jumping to my defence.

The game ended 2-0 and I was glad that we won. I don't think I could have lived down the thought of losing to my old team in the Champions League.

Lucy and I spoke to the likes of Steph, Alex, Lauren and Chloe who all apologised for Bunny's actions. Honestly it meant a lot because that meant they didn't feel the same.

Once Luce and I walked into the Barcelona changing rooms we were met with loads of smiles on the faces of our teammates. "What is it?" I questioned them. Mapi just shook her head and pointed at Lucy "It seems like someone has a protector".

Lucy just nodded her head, slightly laughing as she replied "Yeah she does. So don't mess with Keira Walsh or you will have an angry Lucy Bronze to deal with."

This made their teammates laugh more as Mapi said in the middle of laughing "note taken". I squeezed Lucy's shoulder as my show of appreciation for her before I went to get changed. I let Mapi's words sink in.

I really do have the best protector in the world.