I should've been there

Keira robbed of another Ballon D'or nomination. Actually annoys me so much at how underrated she is!!

Sorry for how sad this chapter is in advance! Reflecting my mood after Arsenal failed to qualify for champions league after all we went through with our injuries to get there. Jonas I'm in your walls man! What were you doing???😭

Keira's POV

Watching someone you love, go through a difficult time is hard for anyone. It always is. Especially when you aren't supposed to love that said person anymore and don't know what to do about it.

Lucy and I moved to Barcelona, drifted apart and broke up. We still hang out, share Narla and work together. So that being said, I have never gotten over Lucy, and I don't think I ever will.

I've never lost hope that we were fully over. I never believed we were. Right now, Lucy was going through one of the hardest times of her life, and I would be lying if I said it wasn't crushing me.

We were sitting in the changing room with all our teammates when Lucy received a phone call. I watched on from across the room as Lucy answered, listened to a couple words, turned pure white and then succeeded in dropping her phone, smashing her screen in the process.

I wasn't even thinking, as I lunged across the changing room and took the trembling woman in my arms. "Luce? Luce?" I called as she just remained silent and dug her head further into neck.

Our teammates surrounded us as they all sent me questioned looks. I shrugged my shoulders to respond. We all looked at eachother as we heard Lucy's name being shouted through her smashed phone.

I recognised the voice as her brother, Jorge. After a few seconds, I realised Lucy was not going to answer her brother so I picked the phone up off the floor.

"Jorge, is everything okay?" I asked. "Keira? Thank god your with her." He started as he took a deep breath. I could tell he sounded upset, and was hesitant on telling me something.

"It's okay Jorge, take your time." I reassured the man who I thought would be my future brother in law. "It's mum, Keira. She's had a heart attack and she didn't make it." Jorge revealed, his voice breaking.

I shut my eyes and shook my head, this can't be happening. I was speaking to Diane just last week, she was literally like my second mother. I realised just how devastated Lucy must be, as I squeezed the body of my ex. "I'm so sorry, Jorge." I started to say as he just cut me off.

"Kei, how long have I known you? Eight years? You will know I've got people around me. There's one person who needs you right now, and it isn't me sis." Jorge said. I nodded my head, as I continued to hug Lucy who was now soaking my hoodie with her tears.

"I've got her. She's right here with me. I'm taking her home. Take care Jorge, I'm always here." I said, as we said our goodbyes and hung up. I let out a sigh, before I placed Lucy's phone down and wrapped both my arms securely round Lucy.

After a couple minutes, Lucy sat up in my lap. "Erm my mum erm-" She tried to explain, during tears. "Luce, babe it's okay. I know, I'm so sorry darling. She loved you so so much, and was so proud of you. What we're going to do now is, your going home and I'm coming too. We will see your family and help set up the funeral, okay?" I said, almost breaking at the sight of Lucy's face.

"You'll come?" She asked me through tears. I nodded my head in reply. "If you want me to come, Luce. I will be there every step of the way." I said. Lucy nodded her head.

I turned to Aitana who had understood what happened. "I will sort it out with management, Keira. Take her home, take all the time you guys need. We love you." She said before all our teammates walked out the room, leaving us alone.