Lucy, its not your fault

Authors Note

I've been watching Lucy since her first spell at Man City and I was like 8 at the time. Even being an Arsenal fan she captured my heart. To have watched her incredible career at Lyon when she was robbed of the Ballon D'or, to her heartbreak at the 2019 world cup, her happiness at the Euros, winning 4 champions leagues, now me being 15 witnessing her happiness of finally breaking the world cup semi final curse and reach the final to only lose, breaks my heart.

Lucy Bronze is an incredible player. I just hope her knee gives her the chance to play at the world cup in 2027.

I would also like to say thank you for all the love on these one shots. It genuinely means the absolute world to me, when I first started I never ever thought I would reach 70k reads so thank you so much.

Lucy's POV

The feeling I got when I walked out of the tunnel was like no other. A world cup final, my biggest dream. I'm very lucky in my career to have won so many trophies, both individually and internationally already, with countless at club level. I've won 4 champions leagues and every league I've played in. However, regardless of all those achievements I would trade any of them to win this world cup. I want absolutely nothing more.

When the game started, Spain were pressing us and countering us massively with huge attacks. I hated to say it but we were struggling.

One of the few times we threatened in the box, I watched as Hempo shot and I held my breath. I thought it was in, just as I was about to celebrate I heard the big clank of the crossbar stop my celebrations.

"Keep going, girls" I encouraged my teammates. Unfortunately, after that sequence of play we were massively under threat from Spain. They had a great chance, denied by a hand of Mary.

We have to be better. For the next ten minutes, England were struggling to even keep hold of the ball, never mind create any chances.

I received the ball and decided to strive on. If we were going to get any opportunities at goal, we needed to get up the pitch. I made one of my signature runs, through midfield and I was ushering Tooney to get herself in space so I would be able to pass to her.

She didn't. I didn't have any chance to get myself and the ball away, as I was surrounded by 3 Spanish players. I got the ball taken off me and the next thing I saw after getting off the ground was the ball being put into the back of the net by the Spanish captain, Carmona.

I felt my knees buckle at the sight. If I hadn't made that run, Spain wouldn't be ahead. I could've moved faster to help defend, but I knew that all my fellow defenders were up field so I didn't think it was necessary.

Lucy, what we're you thinking? I asked myself. I couldn't face the disappointed looks on the faces of my teammates. As I walked back to my position I felt a hand being placed on my lower back.

I turned to see Keira sympathetically smiling at me. "It's okay Luce, we have plenty of time left" she said as I forced a smile and ran back. Now more than ever my team was relying on me. If our dream is to come true, we need to hold the hall and stop these attacks.

Up until halftime, I was throwing my body at any ball. I've already made a mistake that was costly and I was not going to be doing it again.

It wasn't enough. The halftime whistle went, just as Spain hit the post. We all quickly made our way inside, I was deflated.

Sarina announced that she was taking off Alessia and Rach for LJ and Chloe. I have to say, I wasn't sure how this formation would work as we had no natural striker left on the pitch.