Tough times never last.

Lucy's POV
After our match against the Netherlands we knew we had won, but we needed another goal that we didn't get. That was tough to take, but the belief never left us as a team. We had another game to go, but it was out of our hands. We had to beat Scotland by at least a 3 bigger goal difference to what the Netherlands beat Belgium by.

We wanted the Olympics. I wanted the Olympics. I am more than aware I am 32, meaning this was more than likely my last opportunity to get an Olympic medal.

The game against Scotland kicked off and we scored 4 goals in the first half. We didn't even celebrate our goals, as we were picking the ball out of the net to try get another.

It's the belief that kills you is what I learnt today. Near the end of the second half, we learnt the Netherlands scored a third goal. We were leading by 5 at this point. The panic kicked in. We needed another goal, and fast.

I gestured to my teammates the goal tally of their game. "It's three nill!!" I shouted at Keira. I watched as my girlfriends face dropped at my words. "We need a goal now!" I heard one of my teammates shout back.

That's what we did. I scored a header. I let myself have a second to celebrate before we kicked off again. The relief was felt around my body. I collapsed to the floor with happiness. I must've done it. We have to be going to the next round of Olympic qualification.

The full time whistle blew. That was it, it was out of our hands now. We had done all we could and put in a performance of a lifetime.

We gathered round in a huddle to hear the result of the Belgium Netherlands game. As I was awaiting to hear the result, I watched a member of our staff's smile and face drop.

I knew. We were out. They scored again.

My legs gave up on me, collapsing onto the floor with a mix of exhaustion and disbelief. We won 6-0 away to Scotland and that still wasn't enough? I couldn't believe it.

Rachel Daly came over and put a comforting hand on my shoulder. I was grateful for that. I knew she must be upset too, it could be her last chance at the Olympics aswell.

The team dealt with the news in their own ways. Keira and Georgia shared a hug and went to applaud the fans, Esme and Alex done the same and then there was Beth. The sight made my eyes tear up. Beth looked defeated.

She scored her first England goal and assist since her ACL today, and it was only her second appearance back. I got up off the floor and made my way over to the woman who I have grown to love sharing the right side of the pitch with. I didn't say anything but wrap my arms round her.

"I'm so proud of you, Beth. I know first hand what it's like to come back from a knee surgery and how difficult it is. You should be so proud of your performance the last two games." I didn't say anything else but just stayed with her.

"Why did it have to be Viv I lost to? Now I have to support her." Beth laughed it off. I shared a laugh with her. "You carried us today, Luce. Know that" Beth said before she walked off.

It left me in my thoughts. If I was really that good, we would have scored another goal or not conceded the sloppy goals we did against the Netherlands. I must've been stood in a daze for a while, as a hand on my shoulder brought me back into reality.

I turned around and was met with the comforting presence of my girlfriend. "You okay?" I gently ask her. She was phenomenal as always today, she barely even let Scotland's midfield into the game.

Keira flashed a sad smile. "I will be. It's just so difficult to take, I really thought we had done it." Keira revealed. I nodded my head gently. "Yeah me too, Kei." I whispered in reply.