92: The Wings of War (Part 1)

I was sitting up in the bed of Hiccup's new hut on Defenders of the Wing, reading. It was morning and I would have gotten up but Hiccup had been tossing and turning all night and was currently latched to my waist, asleep.

"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

'What an ass. You can't just spend all your time insulting someone and then confess your undying love for them, then purpose and be confused when they say no.'

I was cut from my thoughts by Hiccup grunting and pressing his face into my side.

"Nnnnng....erg...No!" He screamed and bolted up, covered in sweat.

I closed my book, put it down and then leaned over to rub circles on Hiccup's back.

"You alright?" I asked, already fully knowing the answer.

"I will be if you tell me it was all just a dream." He sighed and turned to look at me.

"I wish I could." I smiled sadly and kissed his temple. "Shall we go face the day?"

"I guess so." Hiccup sighed again and we got up and headed outside.

We headed outside to a pretty glum sight. Astrid was patting Stormfly, Hookfang was knocking Snotlout's helmet back and forth as he sulked. Fishlegs was trying to feed Meatlug pebbles but the Gronckle was too depressed to eat and the twins were getting nudged by boars.

"Ugh, get away." Ruff told the pig. "You're boring me."

"I've seen worse." Hiccup shrugged.

"Remind me when that was." Astrid said and walked up to us.

"When we were all in jail and the Fireworms were burning down the island, that time I almost died and had to drink Buff's spit-" I cringed and was cut off.

"So, should we talk about our next move, Hiccup?" Astrid asked. "I was thinking, we should probably try to get the Edge back?"

"Can we get the Edge back?" Snotlout asked the question we were all thinking.

"I mean, guys, how many of those Dragon Flyers are out there?" Fishlegs sulked.

"And what is your favourite part of the human face and why?" Tuff, um... elaborated? "What? We're not playing 'Ask the guy next to you an awesome, yet completely unrelated question'?"

"I'll play." Ruff grumbled. "The eye socket."

"Why's that?"

"Come closer and I'll show you." She said and lifted her arm, presumably to punch her brother.

"Okay." Tuff nodded expectantly.

"Not even fun right now." She sighed and let her arm fall limp.

"What if I do it for you?" Tuff asked, grabbing her arm and using it to punch himself in the eye socket. "I'll give you another."

"Nothing." Ruff sighed.

"Really? Okay, we are officially bummed out." Tuff gave in.

"You will all have time to plan the correct course of action. But right now you are mentally and physically exhausted." Mala told us, whilst appearing with Throk.

"Meh." Tuff shrugged.

"You need to rest, regroup. You are welcome here among us for as long as you need." Mala continued.

"Thank you, Mala. You have no idea how much this means to us." Hiccup said gratefully.

"Fishlegs, there is an ore mine in the middle of the island. Oxides, sulfides, silicates." Mala began, assumingly trying to cheer him and his Gronckle up.