52: Edge Of Disaster (Part 2)

"Come on Astrid, my arms are starting to cramp," Tuff whined while holding the ballista in place.

"Wait for it..." Astrid told him and watched the ships carefully. "Now!"

Tuff let go of the weapon and two bolts flew from the giant bow and crashed into two of the warships below.

"Light 'em up, bud!" I said to Spike and he shot a plasma blast at each ship, setting them aflame. "Nice shot!" I grinned and rubbed his head.

"Yes!" Tuff cheered and threw his hands in the air. "Who kicks dragon hunter butt? Tuffnut kicks dragon hunter butt! Who kicks-"

"Let's not start kissing our own butts yet," Astrid reminded him.

"I didn't even know that was possible," Tuff muttered to himself and started twisting his body.

"You'd have to be very flexible," I told him, really just not wanting to witness his attempt.

Astrid looked through the telescope and turned to us. "This thing is far from over. Go!"

I tossed Tuff a jar of Nightmare gel, which he shot at the boats making one practically explode. "Whoa! Whoa. Monstrous Nightmare gel plus open flame equals... Fun for all!" He yelled. "Well, not all Just for me, actually." He then added as an afterthought. "Hey, Astrid, I was thinking, you know what would be great?"

"If we stuck with what seems to be working really well?" She more told than asked.

"Uh, no." Tuff shook his head. "That wasn't it at all. I was thinking-"

"Save it, Tuff. That's what we're doing." She cut him off.

"Meh." He shrugged and continued firing.

* * *

As the battle raged on one thing became abundantly clear. We were out of ammo. I had given Tuffnut all of Spike's old spines I had lying around plus all the Flightmare gel I had in stock. Stormfly was out of spines as well and Astrid was out of ideas. We had been brainstorming in the clubhouse and coming up empty when Tuff finally burst in.

"There you are. Listen, I've been thinking a lot-"

"It's over, Tuff." Astrid cut him off. "We tried, but there's just too many of them. My plan didn't work."

"You wanna be captured and tortured by crazed Dragon Hunters, or listen to Plan Tuffnut?" He asked.

"I say we hear him out," I suggested.

Astrid sighed. "Your plan? Well, what do we have to lose?"

"Quite a bit, actually." Tuff told her. "The huts, Fishlegs' topiaries, Macey, our lives Wait. That was a rhetorical question. Was it? No, now I think that's rhetorical. Anyways!" He turned to me. "I will supervise Astrid. (Y/n), I'm giving you free rein."

My grin broadened and I shot my fists in the air. "Woohoo!!!" After my jumping had subsided, I turned to Astrid. "Can I borrow Stormfly?"

"Oh, no..." Astrid mumbled in fear.

* * *

"Excellent," I said with a big smile as I watched Speedy and Fog from atop Spike. We dove down and Spike gently picked up Speedy from the water and flew him to the beach where Stormfly waited, while Fog followed.

"Alright," I began. "Fog, you will be making smokescreens for Speedy who will sting the Hunters. Spike and Stormfly are going to fly the paralyzed hunters over to Tuff and Astrid who are going to dress them up as riders so the hunters will attack themselves. As soon as they realize what happing, Barf & Belch are going to light them up; so get far away from the area." I told the dragons. "We just need to wait for Tuff's signal."