57: Enemy of My Enemy

"C'mon bud! Work with me here, please!" Hiccup whispered to Toothless as they snuck out of the stables.

"You have got to be kidding me!" I said to Spike as we sat on the roof of the stable and watched. "This is the sixth time this week!"

"Shhh! We're almost out of there so... Toothless... just..."

Spike leaped down from the roof and gracefully landed in front of the guys. They both froze while I shook my head at them.

"Uh, oh! (Y/n)! He, he, hey, hey! So, what brings you here so early in the morning? You just go for a test flight with Spike? Yeah, well, same here with Toothless, though, of course, because Spike, that will be, you know..." Hiccup rambled on until he realized he wasn't going to talk his way out of this.

"I don't believe this! You're going for a recon flight, alone! With no support, no cover, we talked about this!" I said exasperatedly and rested my forehead on my palm.

"I, I know, I just didn't wanna wake anybody, it's no big deal, really!" Hiccup lied.

"Yes, it is! It's way too risky!" I scolded him. "Hiccup, he's not out there! It's been months since the Viggo-"

"Fiasco?" He cut me off.

"I was going to say episode." I shrugged. "You have to stop this. You're gonna wear yourself to the ground looking for this guy who doesn't want to be found." I sighed and looked at the dark circles under his eyes.

"I'm fine, (Y/n), really! Besides, maybe Viggo isn't out there, but his hunters are! If I can find one to question-"

"They won't tell you a thing!" I snapped at him.

"You don't know that!"

"Look, if you're going, at least let me and Spike go with you." I sighed, not wanting to continue an argument that had been going on for weeks.

"Fine!" Hiccup agreed overzealously.

"I'm getting my Scythe, just give me a second." I told them and rushed back to my hut when I realized. "Wait...did I just tell Hiccup to wait and assumed that he would actually listen?..."

I jumped on Spike and by the time we got to where we had left Hiccup and Toothless, they appeared to be long gone.

"Son of a-"

* * *

"I can't believe it!... Well, I can but I refuse to!" I yelled as I recounted my tale to Astrid. "He hasn't slept in weeks and he barely eats and with his luck, he'll get captured on his own! The only reason I don't go after him is because he'd kill me if I did!"

"(Y/n)!" She snapped and got my attention. "Breathe,"

I took a deep breath in and held it before exhaling loudly.

"Feel better?"

"No,"

"(Y/n), we both know he was going to go out on his own at some point. Hiccup is Hiccup, he gets emotionally involved and does stupid things. It was just a matter of time before he snuck past you." Astrid said calmly.

"I know," I sighed, sitting down and running my hands through my hair. "It's just that he's been so quiet about it all. Hiccup normally talks to me about his problems and we figure them out together. It's like, getting tricked by Viggo has somehow destroyed his trust in people altogether." I explained and flopped my head down on the table in front of me.