Chapter 48

"According to your agreement, if a knight was unable to duel for 'whatever' reason, the Princess would take my place," Hero smiled.

"J-Just a moment! Let me talk to my knight," I told Sierra as she nodded.

"Hero, you can't quit on me now!" I whined.

"You've worked so hard--, this is your chance!" I whispered.

"You are right, Princess. It's a chance. But not one I'm willing to take," he smiled.

"But why?! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!" I said in disbelief.

"Right again, Princess. If I defeat Duke Everheart then I rise the ranks and gain fame. And if I lose, nothing changes. But, you, Princess, lose. There'll be other chances for me, and I'll work hard for them. After everything you've done for us, I won't let you lose this chance," he whispered back.

"It's a gift. And I don't take no for an answer. Win, Princess. This honor is yours to take," he said, putting his forehead on mine.

"Only if you promise to be the best knight ever," I giggled and gave him a hug.

"Oh, I don't need to promise, with the Princess. That. Is my destiny," he smiled.

"Sierra," I called.

"Hero is unable to fight. I'm taking his place," I smirked.

Sierra returned my smirked and announced it.

"Hero Gates is unable to duel, Princess Snow shall be taking his place," she announced as the bleachers went crazy with cheers.

"That's cheating, Snowflake," Father complained.

"I said that if a knight was unable to duel for 'whatever' reason. That, of course, can include the reason being, he simply doesn't want to," I smiled as father marched over to Duke Everheart to take his place.

-------------------

"I'm warning you, my daughter is as tricky as she is strong," Victor warned.

"Like I said. I'm going to duel. I'll uphold my end of the deal and you'll uphold yours," the Duke said in a cold tone.

"Listen to me, I'll still duel your son, just let me take your place!" Victor begged.

"If I lose to the girl my son might not be interested in you anymore," the Duke glanced at the Princess who was already in position.

"Oh no, not another follower on my daughter's tail. I'll let you duel if you promise not to let your son get anywhere near my daughter," Victor said threateningly.

The Duke shrugged, "If I win then so be it,"

"No, no, no! You have to agree, win or lose!" Victor exclaimed.

"Princess," the Duke called, calmly as she came closer.

"Your father is being quite pesky. Remind him what happens if he forces me to withdraw," the Duke said plainly.

"Is my father having trouble?" Snow giggled.

"If you force the Duke to withdraw just to take his place then you're cheating father. You lose." Snow explained.

"You signed a magic pact, if you do this then it will react. Not only will your magic be sealed for 3 months, if you break our secondary agreement and refuse to take me to Slade an additional 9 months will be added to make it a full year," she added as the Duke stifled a laugh.

"You actually agreed to that?" the Duke asked tauntingly.

"Not a word from you, Benjamin," Victor growled.