Chapter 65

I sat at the table quietly, feeling the glares of my brothers Akihiko and Kiyoshi. And why shouldn't they be jealous? The throne rightfully belongs to me anyway.

But those who mattered. Kazuki and Ken didn't even bat a lash. It's no secret that neither Ken nor Masaro covet the crown. But Kazuki... No one knows what Kazuki thinks.

It keeps him safe, and it gives me more chance to take the throne. As much as I'd hate to put so much effort into competing with anyone, my freedom is not my own...

If I were to have the crown, I might have a competent queen by my side in just a few days. I just have to keep her happy, if I can do that she'll trust me.

But she's not as simple as she seems, she was purposely pressing her beliefs on me, knowing that I couldn't say no.

Her beliefs are modern, practical, and quite different from the beliefs in Slade.

In Slade, you must act a certain way or lose your life. That is what this kingdom believes in. She's trying to help us.

But unless she changes the whole kingdom... Those who share such beliefs would bear only loneliness and heartbreak, the price on our heads out weighing our own value as people.

This kingdom cannot be changed without blood...

"I heard that you spent time with the Princess today," our father said with a glance.

I sighed internally. Day by day, I grow weary of my own facade. But I'm scared for my mother. I'm the only one who she depends on for her sanity...

"Yes, she's quite naive, but she has skill I'll give her that," I sneered.

Father nodded in approval.

Sometimes I wonder what father is really like. He never showed his face at any of our births. He doesn't tutor us directly and only calls when there are affairs of the palace our relatives want us to attend.

But despite that, he seldom shows affection to Kazuki and Ken. And that alone is a problem.

No one can know who he truely is or what he plans, as long as he obeys the word of the elders.

We are all puppets to those in power.

"I heard you learned how to cast 'spells' like a mage," he added.

He never made such conversation. But when it's about the Princess, it's like he can't stop probing for something...

"I was surprised when she told me she was trained by an imperial mage. She saw my natural talent and begged me to be her disciple," I smirked as Kiyoshi suddenly laughed.

"Ha! Tell me you rejected! A young little girl like her? Your master? Haha! It's too funny!" He laughed uncontrollably.

Though I never minded the princess as a young woman, I took whatever knowledge I could get, I cannot stand by and let him and his clan disrespect me, else my clan would have mine and my mother's head.

"At least I was chosen, how about you get her to grovel at your feet and then you can talk," I shot a glare.

"Grovel at your feet? The princess? Now that is quite interesting," my father said calmly.

With father's word behind my back Kiyoshi could talk no further and shut his mouth.

"How could you let a lady grovel at your feet? That's not very gentlemanly, if she is as gifted as you say, we must treat her with slight respect, no?" Akihiko asked with a small smile.

"You are correct, Akihiko. Why don't you try and get chosen as well? I'm sure the Princess would be charmed by your slightly feminine appearance," father snickered.