Chapter 67

After wandering aimlessly, forgetting that this wasn't my garden and this place is a literal maze, Gaia found me, with prince Ken and Kazuki behind her.

Once she saw me she immediately disappeared.

"Ah, there you are, are you finished?" Kazuki asked curiously.

"We've been searching for hours. We eventually found you and decided to eavesdrop," Ken explained.

"Why did you reject Akihiko's favor?" Kazuki asked, leading me to the exit.

"Because it was a mistake. I'd rather he doesn't feel like I could attack him at any moment once he realizes how much he regrets giving me the favor," I sighed.

"That makes sense, he'd be more comfortable around you," Kazuki nodded.

"No. Quite the opposite. He thinks I'm looking down on him, he'll be uncomfortable being near me," I shook my head as we finally exited.

"He thinks everyone looks down on him," Ken rolled his eyes.

"Exactly my point. I chose the lesser evil but the result is fairly the same," I groaned.

"Did he say anything to you to alert you of such a feeling?" Kazuki asked.

"It was the look of resentment in his eyes when I deflected the favor. It was a little too obvious," I frowned.

"Then what is the next step to enlightening our brother?" Kazuki asked seriously, leading me to my room.

"I need more time. Alone. For the mean time, you have to stay a distance from me, when I give the signal, we attack," I said plainly. Stopping in front of my door.

"We are at your disposal, Princess, there must be more to do," Ken raised a brow.

"There is. But his prior feelings with both of you will get in the way, I need to do this alone for now, make sure to tell the guards to turn a blind eye tonight, I'm going out," I said entering my room.

"But... Your condition--, your father!" Kazuki stuttered.

"Father cannot interfere with what must be done. It's in the contract. I won't be long and I'll visit the gardens. There's something I want to see for myself," I stared at them as the two looked at eachother.

"Then the Princess will have her way," Ken said dismissively.

"Please be careful," Kazuki said worriedly as both left.

Busy, busy, busy... Can't sleep. Don't want to sleep.

Something was off in the mindscape. A foreboding feeling. I'm already scared of dreaming, now I'm scared of the mindscape. Which means I need to keep myself busy...

I don't want to sleep...

I pace and pace, I'm restless and alone.

I look outside to see the sky darken and the lights of the kingdom start to illuminate the ground below.

I can't help it anymore.

True to my word, I visited the gardens. Around here, There was a passage somewhere. One that led outside.

While I roamed the gardens I spotted it.

Here. I couldn't use the earth to track what exactly lied within the passage since it might have alerted Akihiko, but I could certainly use the wind and found out it led to the outskirts of the kingdom.

I followed the passage wearing a black cloak and a fox mask, my go to sneaking out outfit.

But then I suddenly heard voices and hid behind the last turn, putting down my hood and pricking my fox ears so I could hear them properly.