Chapter 57

"So what was so urgent that you had to take me out of the palace, Trie?" I asked with a raised brow.

"I have bad news and worse news," she said grimly.

I sighed. She never called if it wasn't serious.

"Let's start with the bad news," I said, massaging my temples.

"There's going to be a high stake, high profile slave trade at the end of the week. We've tracked the missing children of Sterling in that trade, so we have the jurisdiction to bust it," she reported.

"... Alright, I'll take Snow home and come back at the end of the week," I answered.

"You can't. They weren't expecting your visit, so they're waiting for you to leave then they'll close the border in the guise of a lock down to capture a murderer," She explained as I tsked in annoyance.

"So you're saying me and my family have to stay until the end of the week?" I asked in disbelief.

"I'm afraid so..." she nodded.

"I know you're worried about Snow, Victor, but what about those other innocent children who have done no wrong?" she pleaded.

"... You have no idea... If the decision were to come down to the world or my family, you know which one I'd choose," I said, getting up to leave.

"Victor. Where are you going?" Trie asked, gritting her teeth in anger.

"To get my family out of here," I glared.

"You may think that way. But I doubt the precious princess would feel the same way," she smiled sinisterly.

I immediately stopped in my tracks.

"You wouldn't," I growled.

"But I would. I've heard she's a lot like me. And I would never abandon my people for my own sake," she hissed.

If she told Snow I wouldn't be able to stop her.

"You know you can't stop her," Trie mocked.

"So be with her when it happens," she hissed.

I sat back down and massages the back of my neck.

"You're a stereotypical snake, you know that?" I groaned.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game," she smiled.

"Ready for the worse news?" she asked.

"Nothing could be worse. Unless it includes my family again," I sighed.

She frowned.

"I visited Darrius and Tatiana a few days ago..." she started as I tensed up.

Dean's parents. My old friends.

"What about them?" I growled.

"What were they like last time you visited them?" she asked seriously.

"... Not the same..." was all I could say.

"I was wondering why Tatiana didn't respond to my letters anymore... And I got my answer... They--," we were suddenly interrupted.

"There you are, it's been more than the agreed upon time. Is there a problem?" Lilian asked worriedly.

"What timing you have. Sit down. You both need to hear this," Bellatrix said seriously.

Lilian sat down attentively.

Tatiana is one of Trie's closest friends. I understand why she's reacting in such a way.

"When I visited them, everything was off, Tatiana didn't speak a lot and Darrius was--," Trie was cut off by Lilian.