Chapter 68

The kingdom itself felt alive. The lights, smell, and sounds, everything was bright and festive.

I scanned the stalls, filled with a strange array of things. From enchanted paints to fancy looking hairdryers.

Instead of electricity we ran on mana stones for everything. I examined the cute white and gold hairdryer.

Though I didn't need it, I wanted it to see how it worked.

"What a good selection, young lady! That item happens to be on sale," the salesman smiled.

"Oh? How much?" I asked curiously.

"From 1,000 gold to the sale price of 400 gold, I'll even throw in this novelty clock bowtie for an extra 100. Bought separately, the bowtie is 150," the salesman smiled.

I looked to the saleslady in the stall next to his and she only rolled her eyes at the salesman.

"100 for a bowtie? How outrageous! And that's only if I buy the dryer with it!" I exclaimed as the lady looked at me with a slight smile.

"O-Oh, no, this isn't some ordinary bowtie! It's made from sea silk!" I glanced at the saleslady beside him again as she quietly sneered.

Bullcrap. I smiled.

"I'm allergic to sea silk, it irritates my skin," I lied.

Beasts do have allergies, but it's only ever uncomfortable, never deadly.

"150. The dryer is 150," the saleslady interrupted.

"Didn't think it was worth 400," I said, returning her gaze.

"You've got a good eye then. Take it," she waved dismissively.

"Veronica!" the salesman shouted.

"I'll pay for it, you've been having a hard time selling it anyway," she said indifferently.

The salesman whispered something to her as she just shrugged.

"So be it, wrap it up nice for the girl would ya?" she smiled as the salesman sighed and did so.

"And what shall I repay you with?" I asked skeptically.

"I just want you to remember my name. Veronica Hans," she smiled, handing me the gift.

Connection is better than something material. Could she have gotten a hint of my identity?

White hair isn't common, but enough people have white hair that I couldn't be recognized by my hair alone.

My whole face was covered by a mask, my bestial form was hidden.

Then she doesn't know. Maybe she thinks I'm just a noble daughter having some fun.

Which I am right now.

"Then I promise, I'll remember your name," I nodded.

"Esmeralda!" we heard shouts.

It was a woman walking out of a brothel.

"You're all scum! I would rather die than live another night like this!" she screamed, she took a knife and...

Veronica covered my eyes before I could see what happened next, but I think I could guess.

"Tsk, escaping this hell is one thing, but making a show of it? It's insulting," the salesman tsked.

"Leave it be. Slade isn't usually like this, the cleanup crew will come soon and I'll let you go on your way, but for now please stay here," Veronica said softly.