2nd Chance

Atlas's POV:

Mistress shifts her feet in my lap, thumbing through some of my study flashcard for my exam.

She finds one that pleases her and I answer it, earning a proud hum.

She shifts her feet again, poking my lap.

It isn't until she pokes my nose with her foot that I realize she is trying to get me to go back to massaging her feet.

I chuckle and shake my head, obliging happily to her unspoken request.

"Sorry, Mistress. I lost myself in my thoughts," I admit, earning a larger grin.

Another mistress would be upset at my mistake, I wasn't her submissive to think after all. Amelia only grins, always finding my apologies about such things funny.

Setting aside the flashcards, she turns her attention to me. "Love..."

I hum, raising a questioning brow in return.

"Have you been... content as a stay-at-home submissive?" Mistress questions, making my heart drop a bit.

Her question is rather surprising although I can see why she would ask such a thing.

"Have you enjoyed having me to serve you 24/7, Mistress?" I question instead, sensing my mistress may not be as on board with me returning to work in the future as I though.

"Of course I have, Atlas. All the little things you do for me... you make me feel so loved, so understood... You've seemed... content recently with the arrangement we have.

"You haven't asked about scheduling your exam or possibly looking for work yet... I just didn't know if you were having second thoughts, because I didn't want you to think you couldn't tell me if that was the case," Mistress says carefully.

She thought I didn't want to be a doctor anymore.

"I have not changed my mind, Mistress. I... I will set up a test time soon," I promise, feeling as thought I've disappointed her in some way.

"It's not rush, Atlas, really. I want you to take the time you need. I just wanted you to know that if you ever change your mind, or even need a little break from working... it's okay," Mistress assures gently, releasing some of the built up tension from my shoulders.

"Thank you, Mistress. I truly do want to go back to work... I'm just afraid. I know you're going to say I shouldn't care what people think, but I do...

"Even if I applied and got back in at the hospital, disapproving gazes would follow me everywhere. Doctor Hartman would be my only ally," I huff.

A sinking feeling fills my stomach as Mistress bites her lip, as if debating to tell me something.

"What, Mistress?"

"It's nothing. I understand your hesitation. I hate how they treat you. It enrages me to no end," she promises.

I nod, but I know she didn't say what she was going to.

"What was the face for, Mistress?"

Did something happen to Doctor Hartman?

"Doctor Heartman left the hospital..." My hands pause on her feet for only a moment, quickly resuming once she subtly nudges my stomach with her foot again.

"Oh... that's unfortunate. He isn't retiring, is he? Such a shame," I frown. Mistress didn't really work with him at all, but he was a kind face around the hospital, I liked to think Mistress had at least one nice doctor to encourage her.