Subjugate Sneak Peak

Here is a sneak peak of Subjugate! Thank you everyone who has purchased "The Inheritance". Please don't forget to leave a review! That helps me so much!

Larken's POV:

The door to the council chamber opened and I looked up with a small groan as my back and neck finally registered how long I have been sitting at this blasted table.

"Prime Son," Asara chastened with a soft sigh. She enters hesitantly, taking a quick glance around to make sure we were alone.

"Dorian and Kimmel are busy with trade deals," I explain with a soft frown.

Asara smiles sympathetically, coming to set my lunch on the table.

"I almost forgot today was Thursday," I grin as she unpacks lunch before me.

"What day did you think it was, Prime Son?" Asara teases, taking a seat beside me as I begin to eat.

"Not Thursday," I chuckle, taking a bite.

Asara shakes her head at me, her eyes falling curiously to the papers before me. She doesn't question them and I don't explain, choosing to quietly observe her.

It isn't often Asara visits me, but it is much more frequent and pleasant now that she is seventeen compared to when she was younger.

Our interactions now are amicable, friendly even. It isn't the love I hoped to share with my wife, but it is enough for now, she still isn't a woman yet either.

Asara stands with a small sigh as I turn my attention to my food. She moves around the room, subtly snooping.

"Do you think being Prime Son would allow me to discipline you, or do you think your father still would?" I tease gently as she quietly shuffles through a set of council documents that has been set aside on a side table.

She immediately turns, dropping her hands to her side, face hot.

So she didn't think I was looking, I muse.

She sends me a soft glare, obviously not enjoying my sense of humor.

"You wouldn't dare try, Prime Son," Asara challenges and I grin, happy to banter with her.

"I don't know, Asara. There are woman younger than you who are a woman... you're nearly a woman..." I poke, her bleeding the last milestone.

She sticks her tongue out at me, taunting me.

I simply chuckle, going back to my food as she continues to snoop around.

"If you're looking for the juicy stuff, Dorian already locked it up in the filing cabinet," I inform her.

Asara let's out an audible sigh, returning to sit beside me.

"...I'm assuming a certain Prime Son would not tell a little old me about why a certain guard is missing?" Asara questions, her gaze flickering to mine.

I examine her face for a moment, always having enjoyed how she has matured both physically and mentally.

"I don't know what you're talking about?"

She gives me a pointed look, allowing the silence to sit between us.

"Asara, Prime Sons don't tell council secrets to those who call him Prime Son," I try again, thumping my fingers along the council table.

"Pretentious—" Asara breathes in irk, rolling her eyes.

I chuckle, having realized she thought I was talking down to her.

"I meant Prime Sons respond to Larken or your lord," I tease gently, drawing a blush to her cheeks.

"It doesn't matter," Asara quickly stands, clearly frazzled by the intimacy my words suggest. Everyone called me Prime Son. My family called me Larken. Only she would call me her lord.