Caught Between Fighting and Feelings

Ash POV

I ran through the smoke that filled the forest with Charizard flying by my side.

"When you hear fighting Charizard, I want you to go there immediately. I won't be coming with you," I said, looking at the Fire Type.

Charizard growled slightly in hesitation, but nodded.

As I ran through the thick bushes and around the trees, I threw Talonflame and Staraptor out. They both came out with a screech as the glow from their Pokeballs faded away. 

"Staraptor, Talonflame, I need you two to go find areas where the G-Men are being overrun and reinforce them. Split up and make sure that you stay safe," I ordered, eyeing the two. They both cawed loudly before flying off in an Eastern direction.

I then let out two more Pokeballs.

Once the blue light had settled once more, there stood in front of me my Dragonite and Garchomp.

I quickly told them the same thing that I had instructed Talonflame and Staraptor on before sending them off towards the West.

Hopefully now that I had the airspace secured over large swathes of the area, we'd be able to send reinforcements and quickly redeploy. I had full faith in the four Pokemon I had sent out, and I still had Pikachu with me for anything we might face along the way. 

Taking out my Luxury Ball, I threw it to the ground, sending out my oldest partner.

"Pika!" Pikachu exclaimed as it popped out of the ball, clearly eager to get outside again.

"Come on, Pikachu, we got some work to do," I ordered as my starter leapt onto my shoulder. I bolted into the woods, in a more southeastern direction where there seemed to be lots of smoke.

I could hear lots of noise as I got closer to the area, letting me know that the battle there was definitely still going on. I also noticed several wild Pokemon running away from the battle, many covered in injuries. It hurt watching them, knowing that most wouldn't get the treatment they needed and that some might end up dying from Ghetsis' madness

Gritting my teeth, I pushed forward, hearing the yells of Pokemon and people alike just a short distance away. As I broke into a clearing, all I was met with was utter chaos. There were G-Men and Plasma grunts with their Pokemon sprawled on the ground, fallen trees and smoking wilderness about. The fighting was ongoing in pockets, now starting to die out. It seemed that the G-Men were about to be overrun, as the remains of their forces began to huddle together for a final stand.

I leapt into the action, sending out Pikachu to let out some steam on the lowly grunts. It wasn't long before the grunts were taken out, and rest of the G-Men could regain their breath.

The commander soon approached me, thanking me gratefully before moving out with his men to help the wounded. I then took a motorbike that was on the ground and peeled off towards the next closest sign of fighting, adrenaline now fully pumping.

Things had just gotten bad for Ghetsis and Giovanni, and I was going to make sure they knew it.

timeskip

As the moon rose into the glittering night sky, I walked into the Battle Tower which was now serving as a base of operations and a camp for the G-Men. I knew that this would be the place that Anabel would probably return to, as it was her facility.

Walking in, I saw Anabel in the main area, sitting on a couch as she bit her nails nervously. She looked up as I walked in, and immediately stood up and stormed over to me.

"Where the hell were you?!" she screamed as she came to stop in front of me, her face curled in anger.

"Doing my job?" I asked nervously. "You miss me that much?"

Whatever she was about to say stopped on her tongue as she opened her mouth in surprise before turning red.

"W-What? You'r-re out of your mind," she stammered before turning around and stomping off, leaving me in the lobby with a bunch of confused G-Men.

I gave them all a shrug as I sat down on the couch, trying to recover from the day's events. It much of the same as the first fight, and the amount of ground I ended up having to cover had be bone tired. Pikachu was already resting in its Pokeball, and all of my other Pokemon had met up with me earlier. May had wound up at the Battle Factory with Noland, so I wouldn't need to worry about her for the time being. Getting up to find a bed to fall flat on, I came face to face with Scott who had been looking over me.

"I think we might need to talk, Ash," Scott said as I yelped in surprise. 

His serious tone surprised me, but I nodded in agreement. He lead me into battle area and began walking around the field as he began speaking to me.

"I know that your relationship with Anabel is strained at the moment," he began, making me snort with a 'that's generous'.

He glared at me before continuing.

"She really does care about you Ash, and I know that you realized her feelings for you during your first time here," he said, slowly making me nod my head wistfully. "She doesn't resent you for leaving, she just wanted an explanation that you never gave her. You knew how she felt about you, and you never gave her the closure she needed. This is your chance to set things straight with her, Ash. She never stopped caring for you."

With that, Scott walked away, leaving me speechless.

I had known that Anabel had liked me, but never thought that she does, especially after what we been through these last few years. However, there was no chance I was going to mess this up for the both of twice, even if we were in the middle of a warzone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Feel like I say this every time, but sorry for not updating, I'll try to update again before winter break ends. 1000 words.