KINGMAKER.

Chapter: 2
******

Eighteen Years Later:
******

"Good morning, Boss," Bogo greeted as he entered the bedroom. He walked to his right and flicked on the light switch, flooding the room with blinding brightness from the chandelier. The magnificent bedroom, resembling something from a magazine page, reflected a wealth of vibrant colors. A cream-colored comforter covered the king-sized bed, complemented by a matching white quilt with gold embroidery framing the large windows overlooking the city.

To the left, an open bathroom showcased a large walk-in shower next to a marble bathtub. Glass doors on the opposite wall led out to a spacious balcony. On the far right, a walk-in closet resembled a mini boutique. Next to it, a fully stocked bar held a variety of liquor bottles. A tall bookshelf filled with books stood just off to the right. In the center of the room, facing the window, two large chairs stood. One was a high-backed throne, while the other was a simple leather recliner. Small tables flanked each chair. Shelves by the fireplace held art supplies.

A huge TV faced the king-sized bed, with the remote control resting on the entertainment center nearby. Bogo reached for the remote control and turned on the news channel. As the anchorwoman began her daily report, he walked over to the bar counter, adorned with tea lights and a coffee maker with sugar cups. He needed to make the Boss a cup of coffee, so he grabbed a mug from one of the cabinets and headed to the large, black wood and chrome coffee maker. While pouring the steaming brew, he stole a glance at the still-sleeping form. The Boss slept soundly with his back turned, bringing a smile to Bogo's face. He quickly returned his attention to the task at hand.

Just as Bogo picked up the mug to set it down on the bedside table, a knock came on the door. He placed the mug down without taking his eyes off the Boss. "Come in," he called, standing straight and facing the door.

With a soft swish, Dorian entered the room and closed the door behind him. "Good morning, Bogo," He greeted. His dark brown curls fell across his forehead, and his hazel green eyes sparkled in the light. He wore a white shirt and blue slacks, his shoes clicking against the floor as he approached Bogo.

The tall, well-built man turned to greet him. "Good morning, Dorian," he replied with a smile. "You're looking exceptionally fine this morning. Must be a good day."

Dorian lowered his head, smiling. "Isn't it too early for flattery? Unfortunately, it's not a good morning. There has been an incident..." His voice trailed off.

Bogo tilted his head, noticing Dorian's troubled expression. "What sort of incident?" he inquired, placing his arm on Dorian's shoulder.

Dorian shook his head. "One of my best men was killed last night," he sighed, running his hand through his hair. "There was an attack on the new warehouse in Barrow Street-"

"What?!" The sudden outburst from their now awakened Boss made both men turn towards the bed and quickly bow.

"Good morning, Boss!" they greeted together.

The Boss sat bolt upright, his face flushed with anger. "How many people are hurt?!" His booming voice made both men jump.

"Seven, Boss," Dorian muttered, their heads bent lower as they avoided looking into the man's eyes. They stared at the covers covering his body. "Six casualties, one death, Boss," Dorian added, trying to steady his voice. "It was quite a shock for us, Boss, and the attack was unexpected. I'm sorry, Boss."

"Who got killed?" the Boss demanded, glaring at Dorian.

"Maori, Boss."

Dirk growled deep in his throat, then stood without caution. He stumbled a bit, reaching for support, and began pacing. "Where's Jenson?"