WE REJECT YOUR REJECTION.

Chapter: 48
*******

In a grand echo through the Great Hall, the solemn declaration of rejection resonated. "I, Dirk Fairpride, reject you, Seth, Kurt, and Tricc RiverBay as my Fated mates. From this day onward, I sever all links and bindings between us."

The words echoed in the silence of the Great Hall for a full half-minute. They were swiftly followed by roars from all three Lycgers, their shift happening almost simultaneously. This sudden shift prompted the two men guarding Dirk to bear their fangs and ready themselves for an attack on the triplet Weretigers standing before them.

Dirk whimpered from the floor where he lay helplessly, his breathing unsteady. It hurt like hell, but not nearly as much as the pain that tore at his chest. His heart beat frantically against his rib cage as if trying to escape through an open wound. It felt like someone had ripped out the bottom of his heart and taken it with them.

The intense sensation spread through him and down his arms until he felt as though his limbs were going numb. He was bleeding again, this time worse than before.

His mates rushed forward, jaws parted wide as if prepared to tear into his chest. They were so close now, inches away. Suddenly, Dirk found himself lying on the cold wooden floor, staring up at three angry tigers that growled menacingly above him.

He had uttered the word, yet the pain wouldn't stop. Malta had assured him that once he rejected them, it would all go away. Clearly, the cheat had lied to him. He had foolishly uttered the rejection words to his mates once again. After all these years, after they had managed to come back into his life, he went and said those heart-breaking words to them.

What was he thinking? Was he really that weak-minded, or had he become so blinded by his ego that he was inviting nothing but harm and psychopaths? The questions kept running through Dirk's head even as the pain intensified. What was wrong with him? Why couldn't he just accept what he was offered and not fight against it? Why did he make such stupid mistakes? How could he ever get past this?

The rejection seemed to have no effect on the Lycgers, who appeared indifferent to his words. Dirk whimpered once more, his eyes stinging as he caught their pheromones. The scent of fear and anger emanated from his mates, likely due to his rejection. But another fragrance in the room gripped his heart painfully, weakening him. He longed to escape, yet his limbs refused to obey as if paralyzed by some toxin.

*******

Dirk whimpered as another wave of pain washed over him. "Help me," he whispered desperately. Attempting to sit up, he found himself lacking the strength to do so. Even his body had betrayed him. The scent made his stomach churn and sent pain coursing through his entire body. If it continued much longer, he was certain his heart would give out. Even now, he could feel his throat closing up and the need to cough beginning to fill his lungs.

"We reject your rejection, Dirk!" Tricc's growl resonated with unwavering determination, void of hesitation. His words were resolute as if he had performed this act countless times. "You are our bond, and we are yours. You belong to us, and no one else." Tricc glanced at his brothers standing beside him, their eyes filled with rage.

They all looked down at Dirk, their hearts heavy. Regardless of what happens here tonight, they would never let anything happen to Dirk again. He had once run away from them, and they would rather be dead than watch him run away from them a second time. Not now, and not ever.

"You cannot escape us, Alpha or not. You are our mate, and we will not accept your rejection," Seth added, his words laced with unyielding conviction, his red eyes gleaming fiercely. As he spoke, Tricc emitted a powerful, feral snarl.

Kurt tsked, stepping closer to Dirk, his gaze intense as he peered down at their whimpering mate. "Your body's heat and scent drive me wild, yet you dare to reject us when your pheromones clearly proclaim otherwise." Gently, Kurt reached out, unsheathing his claws to trail them across Dirk's furrowed brow.

After a brief pause, the three Lycgers advanced, looming over Dirk, their stares piercing his very soul. "We reject your rejection, Dirk," they declared firmly as if their words possessed the power to bind the Alpha, rendering him unable to flee. "You are ours, and no one else's."

The air thickened with their dominant pheromones, overwhelming Dirk to his core. His limbs quivered, and each breath escaped him in short, desperate gasps. He was on the brink of losing his sanity.

Tricc growled again as he leaned forward, putting his muzzle near Dirk's ear. His breath tickled the side of his neck, causing Dirk to shiver violently. "Tell us, our mate," he rumbled lowly, "Who hurt you? Who made you say these awful things, and more importantly, who got you out of the Villa?" His warm tongue flicked across Dirk's sensitive skin, prompting an involuntary flinch and whimper.

He struggled to speak, his breath coming in gasps. His mind spun wildly, refusing to allow any logical thought to penetrate. The Lycgers' overpowering pheromones filled the room, radiating anger and a fierce rage that threatened to consume everything in its path.

As the Lycgers' pheromones intensified, the two vampires standing behind Dirk instinctively began to move away. They had been assured that the Lycgers wouldn't harm them and that the creatures had lost all strength, but it was clear that this information was false. The weretigers before them looked anything but powerless; they exuded a menacing aura, and the vampires knew they had to make a run for it while they still could.

Realizing they wouldn't stand a chance against the three beasts, the vampires took a step back. But Kurt swiftly intercepted them, grabbing their arms and throwing them off balance, sending them crashing to the floor. He stood over them, glaring fiercely, his hands clenched into fists. Meanwhile, Seth and Tricc remained by Dirk's side, their fury palpable.

"You dared lay your filthy hands on our mate. You have a death wish, and I am more than willing to grant it," Kurt snarled, with claws as sharp as daggers, he raised his right arm to strike at the vampire on his right, not letting go until he was certain he had fed enough poison into the vampire to send him bursting into flames.

Once the first vampire was dead, he turned to the second. "I would have sent you back with a message, but I am too upset to bother," he declared, delivering a fatal blow that reduced the vampire to a pile of scattered mess. He then turned to join his brothers, leaving the scene of blood and gore behind. His eyes slowly traveled up to their mate, who now lay peacefully in Seth's arms. "Shall we?" he asked, standing beside Seth.

Tricc approached Dirk with caution, his expression softening slightly as he gazed down at him tenderly. "You still didn't tell us who lured you here," he said, his voice gentle.

Struggling to open his eyes, Dirk met Tricc's gaze and whispered, "Floridia."

As they left the hall, Kurt mind-linked his brothers, expressing his impatience to mark Dirk. ["Brothers, I know the Elder said we must take it slowly with Dirk until he has fully accepted us, but leaving him unmarked is causing too much trouble. I can't wait any longer."]

Nodding in agreement, Tricc said, ["I agree with you, Kurt. Even I can't stand him moving around unprotected. Once we mark him, we can easily protect him, and fools like these can't get close, neither would they succeed in laying a finger on him."]

["Let's get him home and lay claim to what is ours-"] Seth started to speak but stopped when he caught the smell of blood. ["Blood,"] he told them, and together they began to sniff around for its source.

"Are you hurt?" Tricc asked Dirk, who looked away shyly, burying his face in Seth's chest. "What's wrong, Jellybean?" Tricc asked, rubbing soothing circles into Dirk's hair. "Did they hurt you?" he asked again, as Seth gently placed the man at the back of their vehicle. As soon as Seth withdrew his hand, he found them stained, prompting a grim realization.

"Doctor, now!" Kurt ordered, and the driver sped away.

This can't be good.