HIS SCENT.

Chapter: 20
*******

A gentle knock interrupted his thoughts, prompting him to snap, "What?!" Bogo stood behind the closed door, responding without entering the room.

"Your meeting is scheduled for ten, Boss," he informed him calmly. The Boss had been in a foul mood since their return last night, issuing an order that no one should enter his room without permission. Bogo worried for his well-being but understood the need to respect his boundaries. After all, Dirk was their leader, and Bogo was merely his chief bodyguard, someone Dirk trusted with his life. But even Bogo recognized his place. He couldn't deny that the sight of their Boss last night had unsettled him slightly. In all the years he had served by Dirk's side, he had never seen him afraid of anything, not even when surrounded by death and those who sought his demise. Yet, last night, Dirk had been visibly shaken, his voice trembling as he commanded their retreat.

What Bogo couldn't comprehend, however, was how the person who had crossed paths with their Boss hadn't harmed him. Bogo had anticipated Angel's attack, but nothing had transpired. As they sat waiting in the car, Dirk had joined them, and they had driven away without an explanation. Bogo hadn't pressed for details. If Dirk deemed it necessary to enlighten him, he would. If not, Bogo had no business prying into his Boss's affairs.

"Your breakfast is ready and served, and the cars are prepared to depart!" Bogo concluded before walking away.

Dirk emitted another audible groan before turning away from the door. He grasped his cane firmly, using it for support as he made his way to the bathroom. Shutting the bathroom door behind him, he briefly glanced at his reflection in the mirror and recoiled. His appearance mirrored that of someone afflicted by a debilitating illness—pale complexion, dark circles under his eyes, as though he hadn't slept well in weeks. He seemed to have lost weight, resembling a mere shadow of his former self.

Had he always appeared this dreadful? He wondered, leaning against the sink and releasing a heavy sigh. Placing his hands on his face, he stifled a sob that threatened to escape. His fingertips brushed against his cheek, and the tears began to flow uncontrollably. This time, he couldn't contain them any longer. And so, he allowed himself to cry, unleashing his emotions like a child deprived of their beloved toy as a form of punishment.

He hadn't wept like this since the night he had fled from the triplets after rejecting them. He let the tears stream down his face, blurring his vision, his nose running, yet he couldn't halt the flood of sorrow. The emotions he had tightly held within him for the past eighteen years now surged forth, overwhelming him with a potent mix of grief, despair, and anger. He sobbed, collapsing onto his cane and resting his forehead against the cool marble edge of the sink, his legs trembling beneath him.

How could he have treated them that way? His mates, his family. He had not only abandoned his mates but also his own family. His father had reached out to him that night, and what had he done? He had shut him out and fled. He did not say a single word to his Birth Omega or his beloved sister. He was supposed to be their family. What kind of son did this make him? What kind of mate did this make him? Dirk allowed himself to break down, sobbing bitterly, his cries filling the bathroom and reverberating off the tiled walls. The pain tore through him, burning from the inside out. He let himself unravel, crying until he could cry no more. And then he remained there, having fallen to the floor at some point, for another hour. He sat on the bathroom floor, surrendering to his emotions, letting them consume him, allowing them to wreak havoc within him, hoping for some form of relief in the process. But relief never came.

When he had regained enough composure to move, he rose from his spot and entered the walk-in shower. The water provided a momentary solace as it cascaded over his naked skin. For a brief moment, tears once again welled up in his eyes, only to be washed away by the water. Dirk allowed himself a decent bath, attempting to cleanse himself of the turmoil that had plagued him.

*********

Dressed in his suit and tie, Dirk made his entrance into the dining room, where his men stood in anticipation. As soon as they laid eyes on him, they bowed their heads in greeting. Dirk acknowledged them with a brief wave before approaching the dining table. Taking his seat, he wasted no time in indulging in the delicious breakfast spread before him. The food was as exquisite as always, and he emitted a satisfied grunt as he lifted a forkful of pancakes to his mouth and began chewing. Taking a sip of his coffee, he snapped his fingers to call out, "Bogo!" Bogo immediately stepped forward and took the seat to Dirk's right.

"What's on my agenda for today?" he inquired, his gaze fixed on his meal.

Bogo cleared his throat and retrieved the tablet from one of the men. Swiping through it, he began to relay the day's schedule to the Boss. "First, you have a meeting with the new partners from Sayrell. They have a proposal they believe may pique your interest. After that, you requested a reminder about Dante Klien, the mayor of Southingfield, who is behind on his protection money. You'll discuss payment options with him..." Bogo glanced at Dirk, ensuring he was following along, before continuing. "Then there's the annual event for the city of New Dodgeborough. You've requested the council to hold a press conference regarding the upcoming elections and the possibility of a mayoral candidate..." Bogo paused briefly, glancing at the Boss as if seeking permission to continue reading the schedule.

"Very well. Anything else?" Dirk inquired, eager to proceed with the day ahead.

"You have two meetings with your Associates tonight, and I need you to review your schedule for tomorrow to determine if we'll be starting early," Bogo concluded, awaiting further instructions from the Boss.

There was a brief moment of silence as Dirk contemplated the day's plans, deliberating which engagements to prioritize and which to reschedule for tomorrow. He couldn't say he was particularly enthused about the day, not after everything that had transpired and the way he felt at that moment. "Let's just get today over and done with," Dirk declared, rising from his seat and making his way out of the mansion. His men hurried ahead to open the car doors, and the driver started the engine as soon as Dirk settled inside. Bogo positioned himself in the front seat, and as they began to drive, he cleared his throat and spoke.

"Boss, you smell quite pleasant," Bogo commented cautiously.

"What are you talking about?" Dirk questioned, his brow furrowing in confusion.

"When you entered the dining room, there was a delightful scent. I don't recall encountering this particular scent before. Did you happen to acquire a new fragrance?" Bogo inquired, a smile tugging at his lips. He was always concerned for Dirk's well-being.

Dirk frowned. Smelling good? "I didn't even apply any fragrance," he retorted defensively.

"Really? That's peculiar," Bogo mused aloud. "If it's not a fragrance, then what could be the source of this scent that I'm detecting?" He turned away from Dirk, fixing his gaze straight ahead.

Dirk's frown deepened. What nonsense was Bogo suddenly spouting? He hadn't even remembered to spritz on his usual cologne, so he was certain that Bogo was mistaken. Pushing the thoughts aside, he retrieved his phone and began scrolling through his emails.

It proved to be a detrimental decision.