TRAPPED.

Chapter: 49
******

*****
Earlier That Day.
*****

The office exuded a sense of familiarity, filled with the comforting scent of polished furniture. The quiet hum of machines provided a soothing backdrop, painting a picture of steady productivity. Soft, cheerful tones adorned the walls, creating an inviting atmosphere despite the slightly musty smell. The space housed a small collection of books, framed pictures, and assorted trinkets. Plush couches and armchairs adorned the room, with a large fireplace dominating one wall, complemented by a small window offering a view of the magnificent garden. The room was adorned in a soft pink hue, evoking a sense of an early 20th-century setting, complete with matching wallpaper, lace curtains, and drapes adorning the windows.

Despite the elegant setup, the neat stacks of paperwork on each desk hinted at the substantial workload. It had only been three days since he had fallen ill, yet the paperwork seemed to have amassed into an overwhelming ocean. Glancing at the clock hanging above his desk—3:35 pm—he pondered the absence of communication from his associates. Kurt had rushed out to attend to his burning club, and Dirk, aware of the situation, chose not to disrupt his mate. The other two Lycgers, although out of sight, felt close to him. Unconsciously, he reached into his pocket and retrieved a card left by Kurt, a reminder of his mate's availability.

Sighing, he returned the card to his jacket pocket, refocusing on the paperwork. Pouring a glass of whiskey, he settled into an armchair and began to tackle the nearest pile. As he sifted through documents, signing orders, a particular set of files drew his attention. Opening a folder labeled with the letter "F," he discovered an envelope containing a photograph of Floridia holding a three-year-old boy. Perplexed by the lack of accompanying information, he scrutinized the image, sinking deeper into the armchair.

As he studied the image, he couldn't help but notice the striking resemblance the young boy bore to the late Don The Viper Mandracchia himself. It wasn't surprising, given that Floridia shared many physical traits with her father. However, the little boy seemed almost like the reincarnation of The Viper, with his short, blondish-brown hair, deep green eyes, and a subtle crook in his nose, reminiscent of the Don's own when provoked or angered. The likeness to his grandfather was uncanny.

Dirk exhaled deeply and lowered the picture onto his lap, carefully situating it atop a stack of other documents. Just as he reached for another folder, his phone began to ring. Retrieving it from his jacket pocket, he frowned at the sight of an unknown caller ID. Few people could reach him through this line, prompting him to answer the call.

"—Have you received my gift, darling?" Floridia's voice chimed in his ear.

Dirk furrowed his brow. "—Floridia, I fail to comprehend why you persist in calling me 'darling'. I received your mail previously, and yes, I just saw the photograph. What is it that you truly want, Flo?" He inquired suspiciously.

She chuckled softly before responding, "—Why must you always be so distrustful, dear Dirk... I have not wronged you. In fact, I am the reason for your current standing. You owe me more than you can fathom." Her sweet, sweet words sounded as if she was trying to coax Dirk into being her pet, or at least that was Dirk's impression of how she spoke.

"—You abandoned me... You ended our relationship and pursued a new boy toy, discarding me as if I were inconsequential," Dirk growled, his teeth clenched tightly, struggling to contain the burgeoning anger. She did that to him! He felt betrayed by her! "I owe you nothing, Floridia, and I am your stepbrother now—"

"—Adopted brother—" she interjected, cutting him off. "Of which I have no interest whatsoever. My father only adopted you on his deathbed because you were the closest I brought to him as a fiancée. You manipulated your way into his favor, overlooking others who had served him for far longer than you have been alive, and yet he named you his heir... This is what interests me." Floridia finished, her tone shifting from sweet to menacing as she spoke.

Dirk felt a surge of irritation. "—I will ask again, what is it you truly desire, Floridia?" he inquired, his frustration mounting.

Her response came a moment later, "—An audience..." she replied, her tone returned to sweetness once more. "... We need to discuss my inheritance." She added after a few moments of silence.

"—Your inheritance?" Dirk questioned, perplexed.

"—Yes, dear brother. As the daughter of the Late Don, and your sister, as you have rightly worded it. I am entitled to my father's wealth. However, as I am not inclined towards greed, I am willing to split it evenly with you. Doesn't that sound like a fair deal, my brother?" Her voice grew louder and more animated as she spoke.

"—You've never expressed interest in your father's affairs, and now you suddenly seek half of his wealth? I cannot agree with that. The best I can offer is a substantial allowance, more than sufficient to sustain you and your son in any lifestyle you choose. However, I will not sign away half of my hard-earned fortune to someone who not only abandoned her dying father but also a man she professed to love and intended to marry." Dirk replied coldly, the memories haunting him like a broken film reel. Despite his efforts to block them out, his eyes stung slightly, and his throat tightened, threatening to release an angry sob.

"—Who are you to judge me? You abandoned your mates, leaving them to die while begging for your help. And what about your own family? You abandoned them as well, only to come to Qiemont and try to usurp my father's wealth from me!" Floridia's voice rose with each word, her anger palpable as she continued her tirade.

"—I've presented my proposition. Let me know when you're ready to sign, and I will arrange a meeting. After the agreement is finalized, you will stay out of my life and vanish as you have for these many years."

"—There will be no need for that," Floridia interrupted, her tone less venomous. "I am waiting for you at the old Deck. Bring your lawyer with you. I, too, have no desire to see you ever again."

"—Floridia-"

"—This is not a request, Dirk. Do not keep me waiting." She hung up abruptly, not allowing Dirk to say another word.

******

Dirk sighed heavily as he placed the phone on the coffee table in front of him. He rubbed a hand across his tired face, leaning back against the chair, and closing his eyes. His headache gradually subsided, and after a few moments of reflection, he rose from the armchair and proceeded to the other desk to resume his work. As he reached for the file, he turned around and halted abruptly, the image of the little boy flashing in his mind. With a sigh, he closed the folder and left the office.

Having dispatched Bogo to retrieve medication from Naam, Dirk anxiously awaited his return. He needed to hasten to the Deck to finalize the deal. Turning to Venice, he instructed, "Call Pedro. Have him prepare a contract outlining Floridia's entitlement to an allowance, ensuring she and her son are provided for. I am heading to meet her at the Old Deck." With purpose, he strode towards the waiting car, its engine already humming.

"Of course, sir. Should I inform Bogo as well?" Venice's gaze shifted between Dirk and the car before receiving a nod.

"Inform him of everything and ask him to meet me at the pier once he's back from the hospital."

"How many men do you need, Boss?"

"Just Benny, I don't need anyone else." With that, Dirk entered the car and signaled for the driver to proceed to the Deck.

The ride was quiet, accompanied only by the soft hum of the radio and Benny's gentle humming, lending an oddly soothing quality to the atmosphere. Upon arrival at the Deck, Dirk swiftly exited the car and ascended the stairs with urgency. Upon entering Domezio's formal office, a familiar scent overwhelmed him, momentarily staggering him.

As he struggled to regain composure, Floridia emerged from a private room, standing with arms crossed. Her bright red lipstick and steely gaze exuded an air of menace. "I knew you would act without forethought," she taunted. "For a werelion, you are remarkably reckless."

Approaching him, she used the sole of her heel to jab at his injured leg, causing him to grimace in pain.

"I think he's ready," she remarked, turning to the man emerging from the same room.

Malta smiled upon seeing Dirk's vulnerable state on the floor. He bent down, lifted him, and then turned away. With Dirk in his arms and Floridia trailing behind, they departed the Deck, leaving Benny's lifeless body in the car.

"It's time to tend to this Lion for good," Malta stated firmly.