DYING BIRD.

Chapter: 10
*******

There was a prolonged silence before Dirk finally spoke, his voice filled with concern. "What is the condition of my leg?" he asked, his arms now free as he sat up slowly. His gaze fell upon his legs, and his eyes widened in shock. The left leg was severely swollen, causing his heart to skip a beat. The other leg had minor scratches and swelling, but the damage to his left leg was far worse. The kneecap had been shattered, revealing a gaping hole through which he could see the bones. The stench emanating from the injury was repugnant, and the pain was excruciating. Memories of the fall flooded his mind, and he fought back tears, whimpering softly as he lay back down.

The woman's expression turned sympathetic as she frowned. "I apologize, young one," she murmured. "Are you a human?" she asked.

"No. I am a Pride," Dirk confessed, revealing his true nature to her. She was the first to learn of this in Qiemont. He noticed her raised eyebrow, clearly intrigued by his revelation.

"The healing process is slower for Lions compared to other shifters. Here in Qiemont, very few Weres reside. This city is predominantly populated by Vampires," she informed him.

"But you have the scent of a Were," Dirk noted.

"I am a half-breed," she stated matter-of-factly. "A hybrid possessing the ability of Healing." She looked down at him curiously. "How are you feeling now?"

"Somewhat better... Thank you," Dirk whispered. The gore he had consumed earlier had been repulsive in taste and smell, but it had provided some relief from the sudden onslaught of pain he experienced upon seeing the state of his leg.

"Normally, I would have been able to heal you by now, even with the broken leg, as I could mend the bones and realign them. However, for some reason, your body has been rejecting the healing runes I've attempted to use on you... There seems to be a broken connection between yourself and your Lion. I wonder why," she muttered to herself.

"I rejected my mates. I believe they are dead, and I ran away from home, leaving them to die... Perhaps it has affected my healing abilities and the bond with my Lion as well," Dirk confessed, blinking back tears and attempting to control his breathing before continuing. "Do you think I will make a full recovery?" he asked anxiously, secretly hoping she would confirm his doubts, for if his mates were indeed deceased, he wouldn't have to burden them with his flawed self.

"It is possible... Although I cannot be certain yet. Your Lion is still weak, and the bond between you is not fully healed. It may never fully recover, particularly in regard to your leg," she explained calmly.

"And what about the connection between my Lion and myself?" Dirk inquired.

"Oh, that will heal," she assured him.

Dirk nodded, understanding the implications, but feeling a sense of hope wane within him. He realized that his actions carried greater consequences than he had previously considered. A weary sigh escaped his lips, and he turned his face away from the elderly woman. "I should never have rejected them in the way that I did... Now we will all suffer because of my recklessness." A single tear traced its path down his cheek and fell upon the wooden table as he spoke softly, though his words were clear to the elderly woman.

"Now, dear, there's no need to cry," she said, patting his shoulder reassuringly. "Everything will be alright." With that, she turned and disappeared through the door from which she had entered.

Dirk lay there, consumed by regret for his life choices, contemplating how he would navigate this new city. After falling into the water and losing consciousness, he had been swept away and brought to this unfamiliar place.

It would take three weeks after awakening for him to regain enough strength to stand and walk with the aid of a cane, his left leg forever impaired. The elderly woman, accompanied by her son James, diligently nursed him back to health, but his left leg never fully recovered. He required the assistance of a walking cane to move about, occasionally managing a few steps unaided, but more often than not, experiencing soreness. The leg aches most intensely during rainy weather and cold spells.

************

Dirk awoke abruptly at the sound of Bogo's summons, his mind still haunted by disturbing dreams. He took a moment to gather himself before acknowledging Bogo, who now occupied the seat Naam had previously occupied.

"Troubled dreams?" Bogo inquired as soon as their eyes met.

"The past continues to haunt me, interfering with the present," Dirk replied, his voice tinged with weariness. He groaned as he stretched his body, feeling the weight of his fatigue. "How long was I asleep?"

"Approximately five hours. Dr. Naam advised against disturbing your rest," Bogo informed him, observing Dirk closely.

"Regrettable. Another day lost, and I still feel like shit." Dirk lamented, rising to a sitting position.

"You really do look awful, Boss! I think your hair is completely grey now!"

"Gee, thanks," replied Dirk sarcastically, casting a glance at his companion. The transformation of his hair color had occurred during his recovery from the fall, and it had never reverted to its original shade. "Did you reschedule my 4 o'clock meeting?" he inquired, preparing himself to face the challenges that awaited him.

"Yes, Boss. However, there is a new development I must bring to your attention," Bogo began cautiously.

"What now?" Dirk sighed wearily, adjusting his jacket as he prepared to leave the room. He limped slightly, relying on his cane for support, his weakened leg a reminder of the lengthy period spent in slumber.

"Our warehouse located just outside the city was subjected to an attack. It appears that we have a competitor who challenges your leadership," Bogo relayed, his voice edged with frustration.

"I see," Dirk responded, his fatigue momentarily overshadowed by a surge of determination. "And what have you discovered about this adversary?"

"The individual responsible goes by the name Angel, a reckless fool who believes confronting you is a wise decision," Bogo revealed, his anger palpable. "We managed to capture one of his henchmen, who provided valuable information."

"Sounds easy,"

"On the contrary, Boss, we dealt him a few before he began to sing like a dying bird."

"Is that all?" Dirk inquired, his focus shifting to the imminent confrontation.

"No, Boss. We have the captive securely held in our dungeon, awaiting your final judgment," Bogo informed him, a trace of satisfaction evident in his voice.

"Lead the way," Dirk commanded, striding purposefully toward the exit. "Did you retrieve my prescribed medications from Naam?" he queried, as both he and Bogo stepped into the hospital elevator.

"Yes, Boss. They have been collected and stored in the appropriate conditions," Bogo confirmed, his loyalty unwavering.

"Excellent. It is time to address this Angel and bring an end to this conflict," Dirk declared, a malicious glint in his eyes.

*********

Hello lovers!! If you're enjoying this adventure with me then please do not forget to vote and comment, I love to read your thoughts!

Thank you...
And...
I Love You!!!