OWNED BY THE PRIDE.

Chapter: 13
********

The atmosphere surrounding the compound grew heavy as Seth sat in the car, patiently awaiting the return of his men. The operation was intended to be swift: infiltrate the premises, rescue Vincent, and swiftly withdraw. However, as the volume of gunfire escalated, Seth realized he had to take action. Stepping out of the vehicle, he prepared himself, drawing his gun from its holster and keeping a vigilant eye out for any potential threats. Two of his men made eye contact with him as they emerged from their vehicles and met him halfway toward the gates of the building. The gates swung open, revealing three figures, each armed and ready, as they entered through the gateway. At that moment, a distinctly familiar scent permeated the air, invading Seth's senses and nearly causing his legs to buckle under him. His men were too distant to hear his gasp or witness the tears welling up in his eyes as he stood there, absorbing the scent.

With each breath he took, he seemed to inhale not only air but also the essence of that person. Overwhelmed by a torrent of emotions, dizziness washed over him in waves.

("Is anyone else detecting that scent?") Kurt questioned through their telepathic connection, momentarily startling Seth. ("Anyone?") he reiterated, growling in response to Tricc's deep moan, which seemed to reverberate through their bones.

Their heightened senses awakened, and they all became aware of the burgeoning fragrance in the air.

("Seth, where are you?") Kurt inquired.

It took a moment for Seth to compose himself enough to respond to Kurt's query. ("I am supposed to be inside this compound, rescuing someone very dear to me...but it appears that my adversary is more formidable than I had anticipated,") he lamented, tears streaming down his face as he stood there, fixated on the figure now clearly within his line of sight.

The individual looked different, leaning on a cane for support, a firearm grasped firmly in the other hand, and his once lustrous golden locks now flowing in shades of gray. Seth wondered if he had deliberately dyed his hair, perhaps as a means to obscure his true identity and evade detection.

But how could this be?

Qiemont and Sturvil were neighboring cities, just a few hours' drives apart, and yet fate had never brought them together.

And to think that, unknowingly, he had sent operatives to harm the very person who now stood before him.

("No, this cannot be possible...") Kurt murmured through their link, prompting Seth to wipe away his tears, pondering why only he stood face-to-face with their enigmatic mate while they all sensed his presence and pheromones. ("Are you alright, Tricc?") he inquired, mindful of the effect pheromones had on him. Tricc roared in response, and this time, all three men felt their eyes begin to glow in the hues characteristic of their Lycgers.

("Dirk!") they all exclaimed, sensing their Lycgers stirring beneath the surface. Seth gestured for his men to depart immediately, and it seemed that Dirk, too, sensed the critical moment, promptly issuing orders for his own personnel to evacuate the premises.

As the gun slipped from Seth's grasp, he took his first step forward.

Firearms were no longer necessary.

With each advancing step, Dirk retreated, creating distance between them. History seemed to be repeating itself, as Dirk appeared to struggle, reluctant to be in Seth's proximity.

Once again, he was running away.

("Damn it, he leaves me breathless! And I'm not even there with you!") Kurt cursed and growled, growing increasingly restless.