LIKE THE AIR HE BREATHES.

Chapter: 42
********

As Dirk slowly opened his eyes, he found himself surrounded by the familiar comfort of his bedroom. The events of the previous night felt like a distant memory, almost akin to a dream. Shifting in his bed, a renewed energy coursed through his veins, awakening his senses and leaving him feeling different, rejuvenated. It had been a while since he had last awakened feeling so refreshed, and it wasn't solely due to a good night's sleep. An underlying sense of excitement filled him at that moment.

A smile graced Dirk's lips. "Rise and shine, my darling," he whispered, believing the room was empty. His hands moved from behind his pillow to rest upon his chest. With one hand, he rubbed the smooth skin of his belly, feeling the heat rising on his cheeks. His fingers then wandered over the contours of his body, and then to his neck... Kurt had touched him there... He thought, feeling the warmth of his skin. The sensation made him smile again. They were here, with him. He felt their presence, their pheromones most addicting. He quickly sniffed the air, hoping to catch even the faintest whiff, and he did. A soft moan escaped from his lips, and he closed his eyes as if trying to conjure them in his mind.

He could still feel the heat radiating off his skin. This was a new feeling, but not unpleasant or uncomfortable. It felt good and... special.

Their presence lingered strongly beside him in his room, and though their pheromones were not as potent, they were still present, nearly driving another moan from his lips.

Shaking off the feelings, Dirk sat up, feeling a slight throb in his head, and swung his legs over the side of the bed. After stretching his arms above his head with a yawn, he ran a hand through his messy hair. He then walked across the room toward his dressing mirror. The dim light streamed in through the window as the early morning sun began to rise. It would be another hour before the sun had fully risen outside.

As he stared into the mirror, his gaze drifted to the sofa where Dr. Naam had been sleeping. She sat up, her eyes filled with concern as she took in Dirk's awakened state. "You're finally awake, La Sala," she said softly, her voice filled with relief. "How are you feeling?" She asked as she began to rise from the sofa. Her eyes bore dark spots underneath, likely from lack of sleep, and her damp, tangled hair hung down her back in disarray. Despite her appearance, she seemed tired and worried.

"What time is it?" Dirk groaned, rubbing his sore neck, still not entirely sure how long he'd been asleep.

Naam picked up her glasses from the table and put them on, then glanced at the clock before returning her gaze to Dirk, who was still standing in front of the mirror. "It's only seven," she answered quietly, "But, really, how do you feel?" Her tone was soft, yet tinged with concern.

Dirk paused for a moment, trying to make sense of the intense emotions swirling within him. "I... I feel different," he whispered, his voice laced with wonder. "Last night... it felt like a dream, but I sensed the presence of one of them, no, all three of them. They were here... healing me... feeding me their pheromones."

Dr. Naam's eyes widened in surprise, her medical expertise failing to explain the inexplicable. "I can't explain it, Don, but it seems that whoever was with you last night had a profound effect on your recovery."

"I thought I was dying, Naam. The pain was excruciating, and there was blood..." He paused and turned sharply so he was looking straight at Dr. Naam. "... You saw it too, didn't you? The blood!" He insisted, his words tumbling out of him quickly. "And then, they were there..." he pointed to the side of the bed where he had felt their presence most strongly. "... watching over me... feeding me their pheromones, comforting me, giving me life, and now... now they're gone... Why did they leave?" he demanded. His face was flushed red with anger and confusion. "Did they not want to be around me?" He wondered aloud, sounding more than slightly disappointed. He shook his head angrily. "No... that isn't possible," Dirk muttered. "They wouldn't come if they didn't want to be around me... Does this mean they forgave me? Did you see them, Naam?"

He was speaking too fast and with so many emotions that when he asked the question, it startled Naam a bit. She composed herself and met his gaze. "No, I did not see them... I didn't even pick up their pheromones... If they were truly here, it could mean that they hid themselves from everyone except you," she said, slowly, as though choosing her words carefully. "Your pheromones..." She started but paused when she saw his confused raised brows.

"What?" He demanded, turning back to his reflection in the mirror. His face was flushed, his eyes glowing golden, and the tip of his hair spotted gold. This nearly knocked him off balance. He hadn't seen his Lion within his eyes in years, and more so, his hair which had turned grey the moment he passed out in that river that night were spotting their golden colours. "Naam..." he started to call, touching the tip of his hair and face, his excitement flaring up his pheromones, and by the time he turned back, he found Naam nearly passed out on the bedroom floor. Around the room, his pheromones filled the air like clouds of golden dust.

As if on cue, Bogo rushed into the room, a cup of warm water in his hands. "Boss, you're awake! Here, drink this," he said, offering the cup to Dirk.

Dirk took the cup gratefully, his hands trembling slightly. As he sipped the warm water, a surge of intensity coursed through his body. His heart pounded in his chest, and his mind filled with a longing that seemed to consume his every thought. It was a longing for the triplet that had been with him during the night, the one who had fed him their pheromones and helped heal him. He longed for them, to see them again, to fall into their arms and have them ravish him until there was nothing left.

*****

The desire to feel them against his skin, to smell their scent. His heart hammered in his chest, and his head began to pound as his body responded in kind. Unable to ignore the pull within him, Dirk set the cup aside. He couldn't wait any longer. He needed to find the triplets.

Bogo's concerned voice filled the room, asking what was wrong and where he was headed. But Dirk remained silent, his eyes fixed on an invisible destination that only he could see.

He knew exactly where he was going and didn't care what anyone else thought. "Don't follow me!" he commanded without a hint of his usual arrogance. Then he turned abruptly and left the room. In the corridor, he immediately began to run down the staircase, his feet pounding heavily against the marble floors.

Like the air he breathes, Dirk craved them.