TO HOLD AND TO HEAL.

Chapter: 18
********

("Are any of you detecting that scent?") Kurt's voice resonated in their consciousness through the link. Tricc couldn't help but wonder how they were all able to detect the scent despite their physical distance from one another. ("Anyone?")

The words of their Birth Omega lingered in Tricc's thoughts, echoing like a haunting drumbeat: "When one link dies, the others die." Could it be possible that the one who held their very souls captive was none other than him? It seemed logical, considering their lack of vitality since his rejection. They had struggled to find their place in a world they were destined to dominate, living in constant fear and unease. Their lives had been nothing short of misery since that fateful night. No matter how they tried to downplay it, the profound impact of Dirk's rejection was evident in their daily existence.

How could one Lion hold the fate of all six Lycgers in the palm of his hand, effortlessly controlling them as if they were insignificant? How could one Pride subdue six wild, bloodthirsty, and lethal creatures, reducing them to mindless pups? Yet, that was precisely what he had accomplished. What made the situation even more infuriating was that the oblivious Lion remained unaware of the power he held over them.

Though Dirk might be their predestined mate for reasons they struggled to comprehend, it defied reason considering he wasn't even an Omega. As far as they knew, Alpha Prides did not emit pheromones, especially ones as potent as Dirk's, capable of arousing the pheromones of other Alphas. Such potency was typically associated with Omegas. Tricc was certain that Dirk himself was oblivious to his ability to produce pheromones. They had recognized his unique scent on the night of their sixteenth birthday, and tonight, even with miles between them, his pheromones continued to haunt them.

("Seth, where are you?") Kurt inquired, prompting a growl to escape Tricc's lips as he felt an intense burning sensation as if an invisible force set his skin ablaze.

His Betas appeared perplexed, calling out and attempting to reach him, but Tricc retreated, causing them to give chase. In a desperate attempt to escape the overwhelming scent, he ran aimlessly, stumbling through bushes and tripping over branches. Losing his balance, he tumbled to the ground. The rustling of foliage and the creaking of branches signaled someone's approach, but before he could rise to his feet, a force collided with him, knocking him onto his back.

"Stop running!" Rafe's voice echoed faintly, as if distant and barely audible to Tricc. "Your shift is happening!" Rafe yelled once more, his voice fading into the background of Tricc's mind.

A growl escaped Tricc's throat as he felt claws piercing through his fingertips. His chest constricted, fur sprouted, and fangs elongated, causing his vision to blur. Amidst the chaos, only the voices of Kurt and Seth reached his ears. He managed to respond with sporadic roars and growls when they posed questions. It became clear that Dirk was responsible for the tormenting pheromones they inhaled, and because Seth stood before the Lion, they all experienced the scent.

It was torture, the most excruciating ordeal Tricc had endured since that night, eighteen years ago.

Above all, Tricc yearned for the pain to cease. Dirk's scent only added to their suffering. It felt as though the torment would never end until he finally heard Kurt mutter in a cold, detached tone.

("No, this cannot be possible...") Kurt said. Tricc felt his chest tighten, his growl grew colder. ("Are you alright, Tricc?") Kurt asked, and all he could manage was a resounding roar, causing the eyes of all three men to glow in the colors of their Lycgers.

("Dirk!") they all exclaimed, sensing their Lycgers stirring within, but after this time, Tricc had already shifted.

("He's injured,") Seth informed them, prompting another roar from Tricc and a hiss from Kurt. ("His leg is broken,") he relayed. Tricc took off once again, anger and pain blending into one as he wondered what could have broken their mate's legs. He wanted to see him that very moment, to hold, to kiss him, but most importantly, to help him heal.

As his restlessness grew, Seth's voice broke into their thoughts once again. ("Kurt, Tricc,") He called, ("I know you both sensed it too. Dirk has once again eluded us.")

Tricc cried, his voice tinged with a simmering rage that replaced the fading pheromones that had enveloped him. His fur stood on end, and a low and menacing snarl resonated from his lips. Anger consumed him.

Once again, Dirk had dared to flee from their presence.

Why did he persist in running? What was he so afraid of? Did he believe it was any easier for them than it was for him? Dirk knew perfectly well the reasons behind his actions, and yet, even after all these years, he continued to run and hide, like the coward he truly was.

A deep growl resonated from Tricc, his voice filled with unbridled fury. ("I shall rend him limb from limb. He shall rue the day he abandoned us.")

Once Seth had succeeded in calming them down, Tricc gathered himself enough to breathe but he was unstable.

Turning to his Betas, who stared wide-eyed at him, confusion initially washed over their faces. Then, his gaze shifted downward to his hands, only to find that they had transformed into large paws where hands once were. Tricc swiftly pivoted towards the nearby river, its surface glistening under the moon's luminous glow. As he peered into the water, his reflection revealed the majestic form of his Tiger, a sight he had almost forgotten after so long. His fur adorned with white stripes and a golden hue, with dark brown spots adorning his muzzle and the tip of his tail. His eyes widened, taking in the sight, and he immediately bounded towards the river's edge. The moon's ethereal radiance illuminated his reflection as he ran, though it failed to capture the full magnificence of his appearance. Nevertheless, it revealed his piercing, multi-colored eyes, and his perked ears.

"Alpha, wait!" His Betas called, and immediately he halted and waited, but at this point, he was fully shifted and now it was his Tiger who stood in wait.

"Hello, Betas," the Tiger turned to acknowledge his loyal companions. Both Betas stood in awe before him.

Without hesitation, the Betas bowed respectfully and greeted, "Alpha!" Their forms shifted spontaneously, assuming their wolf forms before rising to meet their Alpha's gaze.

"My name is Alaric, and it is a pleasure to finally meet you... We have been awake for some time, but we suspect Tricc has forgotten how to shift since he never allowed us to emerge since our awakening."

The Betas chuckled softly, causing Tricc's Lycan to rise to the surface, its deep and resonant voice echoing through the air. "Present and accounted for!" Tricc's Lycan declared, his fur as black as the night, with the only glimmering glow emanating from his eyes and the mark of the dying Moon etched upon his side. "Arnou, it's a pleasure to be in your presence," he growled, his voice sending shivers down their spines and causing their fur to stand on end.

"You are truly magnificent!" Rafe breathed, his voice laced with awe and a hint of embarrassment at his unguarded utterance.

Arnou chuckled warmly, and another shift ensued. Before long, Tricc stood before his Betas, wearing a contagious smile that had them all laughing.

"What just happened?" Malachi asked once the laughter had subsided.

"Seth found our mate!" Tricc informed them.

"Congratulations!" they both began to say before Tricc interjected.

"But he ran away again."

Their expressions shifted from joy to worry and sadness for their Alpha.

"Why does he keep running?" Rafe exclaimed, his tone laced with frustration.

Tricc let out a sigh. "I have no idea," he muttered, feeling the weariness settle upon him. "I'm too tired... We should return; morning is nearly upon us."

After reverting to their human forms, the Betas nodded silently and began their journey back to the Pack, each burdened with worry for their Alpha.

Why do you keep running away from us?

The final thought that lingered in Tricc's mind.