Last Kiss - Part 1

I doubt this return to fanfiction will last very long but I'm very bored so here you go.

In 2019-2022 me fashion, this is a songfic.

You laid on the kitchen island of your new apartment, alongside spilled melted ice cream and salt that wishes it could compare to the streams flowing down your cheeks. The blood in your cheeks so habituated to blushing from flattery was now glowing a darker shade of red as you suffocated in the snot struggling to escape your burnt nose.

"This is what you get for being unremarkable" you muttered to yourself every 2 seconds, a repetition that matched his heartbeat. Anytime you burrowed yourself into his chest you could feel his heart lunging towards you at 120 BPM, as he whispered that he loved you in a voice so low and soothing it'd put your insomniac self to sleep before 2 AM rolled around. Everyone had warned you how dangerous the superhero life was, how the aliens with laser guns and sentient robot armies were so powerful that getting nothing more than a broken bone and a couple of scars essentially meant they worshipped you, yet nothing felt more painful than the words he had uttered to you on the worst day of your life. That fateful night, at a time when you need a shoulder to cry on, his was cold.

The fateful night in question:

The story was as basic as it got for a guy like Y/N. You joined the Avengers with the kind of social anxiety that vibrated off of you like a speaker acting out your worst nightmares. That was the metaphor you used to explain said anxiety to the man who knocked on your new bedroom door at the time you needed it most.

After getting situated and growing accustomed to the new cast of characters around you, you immediately flipped to the other side of the dichotomy coin and became your infamous sassy self. You developed a routine of playing video games with Hawkeye, sparring with Black Widow, aggravating Tony Stark with your complete lack of knowledge over any branch of science beyond 7th grade teachings of the periodic table, introducing Thor to most Midgardian culture points such as the internet, film, and singer-songwriter Taylor Swift, and finally, sharing your deepest and darkest fears and secrets with the lovable golden retriever that is Steve Rogers. For some reason you never really hung out with Bruce.

Eventually, you and Steve became incredibly close friends, which lead to him being the first Avenger to meet your parents. After he left, your parents had asked you if he was now your boyfriend, to which you immediately responded with a "no" with a hint of disappointment in your tone. Obviously, you had a crush on Captain America and padding the word count by delving into the origins of that infatuation is as redundant as dedicating the first hour of a Spider-Man movie to killing off Uncle Ben.

The question then comes of how you were even on the team in the first place, starting off from zero with literally no training and a complete lack of skills, social or otherwise. The answer, of course, always being that you had a power within you with more potential than an Infinity Stone: You could rhyme. Your superpower was essentially materializing things out of thin air by incanting a minimum of 2 sentences wherein the final word of each sounded similar enough according to the metrics and conventions of Standard American English. It was fucking awesome.

Life became so much easier with you around. Thank God Arishem and banish them qualify as rhymes. Other than the occasional world-destroying entities that came around every few months, there wasn't much else to do anymore. Of course, heroes were still on standby and the focus shifted to combatting smaller forms of crime, but no one really wants to rob a bank when the God of Thunder and a giant green monster have an open schedule. Eventually, a large team and mutants and enhanced beings began travelling off-world to bring justice and peace to alien civilizations, and The Avengers thus turned into the only Earth-based team, ready to fend off any planet-consuming creature or time-travelling multiversal maniac that may come your way.