Last Kiss - Part 2

When you woke up, you were alone. The room was empty. Nurses were tending to patients who had been conscious within the last 12 months, Bruce had done his job of keeping you alive, and Tony had returned to his usual business ventures. Natasha underwent a therapeutic experience wherein she beat up a bunch of people, a few to death. Thor got back in shape eventually, and Steve just couldn't bear to look at your...corpse anymore. 

By the graces of Bruce's comprehensive experiments, you had actually regained dexterity and muscle mass during your coma. You were slowly but surely able to get up from your hospital bed and were about to head out when a doctor had noticed you were awake. She immediately pressed a button attached to her collar that alerted what was presumed to be the Avengers that you had finally woken up. They all rushed to your room and stared at you in awe. Your eyes were a truly scintillating view after not seeing them for 300+ days. This was supposed to be a moment of joy and celebration.

But no one smiled. 

Everything felt weird. Even you felt a little different. 

Fortunately, Thor is unable to ever lose his good spirits, as he immediately wrapped his voluminous arms around you.

"Y/N! Your return to the mortal realm elates me! While I am thankful you're not yet to reside in Valhalla, it would've been a much honorable death."

"Thank you?"

The first words you had spoken, and they carried confusion, sarcasm, disappointment, relief, and melancholy all at once.

The rest felt obligated to give you a hug now so they all did...terribly. Weirdly, enough Natasha's embrace was the most comforting to you. Steve still hadn't approached you.

After a few hushed words exchanged between the team, they all agreed to leave you and Steve alone.

"Steve-"

"I think you should leave."

"Excuse me?"

"I didn't sleep the first few months of your coma. I couldn't cope with the fact that you were gone. Eventually when I was finally able to keep my eyes closed, all I could do was dream about having you next to me, and I woke up in the morning pondering what I would say to you when you finally came back to me. All the sweet nothings I could whisper in your ear about you being my everything, and the jokes we used to make with each other that activated a spark we hadn't felt our whole entire lives. But now, looking at you. I think I see clearly that we were a mistake."

"What is going on? I've barely woken up and you're telling me that you don't love me anymore?"

"The problem is that I do love you. Way too much. It blinded me a little bit. I wasn't able to properly analyze your condition. Y/N, you almost died. Multiple times. You're only alive because of a very serendipitous loophole. And I can't let you live that life anymore. Your powers had been dwindling over those last couple of weeks, and I don't think they're in good shape right now. I've had time to process this, you don't have that luxury. So, I'm giving you that time now. Tony's got an apartment in your name on 6th Avenue. I made him get a place near Cornelia Street for you, I know you love your Taylor Swift references. I still remember how excited you were when we visited that place together."

"I think you forgot an essential chunk of that song, Steve. I mean, it's the hook of the repeating chorus so it shouldn't be that hard to miss, but I guess a thick-headed asshole like you doesn't understand the simplistic syntax of "And I hope I never lose you, hope it never ends/I'd never walk Cornelia Street again"? Sure, dump me at my worst. Get rid of me when the one thing that made me special is gone. Boohoo, now my poems are exclusively figurative, guess I'm worthless now."

"It's for your own good."

"Don't make this about me. This isn't what you do when you care. This is what you do when you're scared. If I ever see your face again, you won't like what I'll have to say." 

2 years later, 4th of July-Highmark Stadium:

Was it a weird career turn to go from blasting villains to blasting music? Yes, and it will probably go down in history as the most bizarre and random occurrence of the 21st century. But being able to pour your words into beautiful melodies for all those who need it to hear was the only thing that kept you from bursting into tears every night. Not only did your 2 hour concerts fit the entire setlist of your debut album, you were also able to make time to sing a cover every show. 

The show kicked off normally, you performed your most popular hit "Celestial Love" followed by an acoustic version of fan-favorite deep cut "Grown Man".