Baby 4

Oh shit, oh shit. You wince hearing Bucky's feet stomp over. He steps in front of you and kneels down, he takes your hand and looks you in the eye.

"Are you really pregnant?" he asks and you nod.

"Yes, about six weeks" you chew your lip.

Bucky sighs and pops your lip from between your teeth, his thumb rubbing at your lip gently.

"Why didn't you tell me sweetheart?" he looks heart broken.

"I was going to and then you were there in my room. And you said..you said that" tears track down your face.

"I said something really stupid" he sighs and closes his eyes.

"I didn't mean it. I was panicking and desperate and then Steve came to see me and told me to get off my ass and grow a pair" he smiles sadly at you.

"Baby, I love you. And I would have you back in a heartbeat. But I can see you don't trust me, and I understand that. But if you would let me show you, let me be there for you and our baby. I'll prove myself to you, I swear I will" his eyes are pleading with you.

"Bucky, I would never stop you seeing this baby. Never. But I need time and patience from you. Everything that has happened, that was said is too fresh in my mind. I need you to give me space. Please" you grip his hand tightly, needing him to agree with you.

"I understand and I will. But..can I stay for this. Just to make sure you're both okay?" he looks really worried.

"Yes" you nod to Bruce to continue.

"So I've updated your file, no missions. And I want to run some tests to check you and baby Barnes" you nod as he gets some things.

Baby Barnes, Bucky's heart stutters when he hears that. Baby Barnes, you were carrying his baby. You were nearly two months pregnant with his baby. He smiles and squeezes your hand. His baby. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

His baby.

You watch Bucky out the corner of your eye, a range of emotions flitting across his face. But the last one, the last one brings a tear to your eye. He looked happy, he looked happy about this baby. He had a long way to go to prove himself, that he wasn't just pretending to care to get you back. But that face full of joy was a start.

                                                                                                      *****

Bucky had watched as you talked to Bruce about vitamins and check ups. Your face glowing from excitement, you looked breathtaking. He smiled when you laugh at Bruce when he tells you about baby brain and other things pregnancy could affect.

He sighs, and now he sat in a jet with Steve and Nat on an emergency mission. He had to leave you while you were happy and planning and it killed him.

"So what did she say?" Steve asks with a look.

"That she needs time" he says quiet.

"And you're giving her that?" Nat buts in.

"Yes. It's what she wants and I'm trying to do as she asks" he tells them.

"And then what?" Steve asks.

"I don't know. She wants time and I'll give that to her but after it, I just don't know" he shrugs and sighs.

"You could help with baby stuff, like building the crib, planning a shower, stuff like that" Nat interjects.

"Maybe. I don't want to push my way in with her, I want her to want me for those things" his head bangs against the wall behind him.