The Clean Up 3

You sit watching the TV, completely enraptured by what you see. Bucky was... Well, he was an avenger. But he had been the Winter Soldier, a man who had killed a lot of people throughout the years. You watch phone footage that the news was airing. He was fighting people who were murdering and stealing from the government. They wanted the world back the way it was when it blipped. You didn't know what happened, you had been dusted as well so however the world had ended up, you didn't know what it had been like.

You had a few friends, no family, so you had just blown away in the wind like so many others. And when you came back, the world was chaos, still was in some places. And the people Bucky was fighting, they wanted it back so there were no walls, no borders. Everything for someone. You understood it, or at least the theory behind it. You didn't condone the violence though, you weren't used to physically having to fight for anything.

And then there was Bucky, you had grabbed your laptop and looked him up as soon as you had seen him. His life was laid out for the world to see online. James Buchanan Barnes, a sergeant in the 107th was considered dead after a mission with the Howling Commandos. Only to turn up twenty years later as the Winter Soldier, sent by Hydra to kill any who got in their way. A tear tracks down your cheek, they had held him hostage for years, using and abusing him for their gain.

No wonder he had looked a mess when you first saw him, he had literally just been released by his own government after being pardoned for a life that he hadn't chosen. When he said he wasn't good at dating stuff, you had assumed it was because he was shy. Now you knew it was because he hadn't been his own person in a very long time.

You pull yourself together and steel your resolve. That date was happening and you were going to damn well make sure it was good for him. Now, did you tell him you knew who he was or not? You didn't like to lie, so telling him would be the first thing you did. At least then he could decide if he wanted to continue whatever was going on.

Your phone pings and you grab it with a grin. You loved it when he messaged you, his responses were always so sweet. Your grin gets bigger when he tells you he'll be home in three days. You had been getting his mail like he asked, you had also added more bits to his apartment. Like a bigger table to put his TV on, and a sideboard that you had found in a second-hand shop. You still hadn't been able to find a couch or chairs for him but you would keep trying for him. You hoped he liked it.

***

Bucky sighs as he enters his apartment, he is glad to be home and done with the flag smashers. It had been an eye-opening experience, especially when it came to Sam being the real new Captain America. Something that Steve had wanted from the moment he told Bucky his plan to leave. And in a few days, he would head back to see him. Bucky had been so angry about that damn shield, about how it made him feel. Logically he had known Sam hadn't given it to John, but it had felt like a betrayal when he saw him with it. And then John had tarnished it with murder. Bucky sinks to the floor, completely worn out emotionally and physically. He chuckles when he sees more furniture has been added to his apartment. You are one hell of a woman. And one he couldn't wait to see. Dragging himself up he heads for the shower, time to clean up and see his girl. He wears the clothes you have bought him, wanting you to see he appreciates everything you have done for him. He knocks on your door and waits, excitement running down his spine at just the thought of you.

When the doors open, his eyes pop wide. You looked stunning, your blue dress was fitted and hugged you perfectly. Your hair was curled softly and your eyes were gleaming at him.

"Hi," He says breathlessly, He can't stop his eyes from roving your body.

"Bucky, I'm so glad you're back" His breath stutters when you hug him.