The Light In His Darkness

"You should come man, it'll be good for you" Sam tries again.

"I told you before Sam, it's not happening" Bucky huffs.

"Even Steve came now and again. Look, you don't have to talk, just listen. You may hear something that helps, and if not, what's the harm?" Sam shrugs.

"They'll know who I am" Bucky shakes his head.

He had been free for a while, his head his own, his life his to lead for the most part. If he went to one of Sam's VA meetings, he would be exposed and vulnerable. He didn't like the idea of that, of the people there knowing who he was, what he had done. But then again, it would get Rainer off his back if he went. He sighs and looks at Sam's expectant face.

"Fine, one meeting" Sam nods and pats his back.

"I mean it Sam. And I am not talking" he rolls his eyes and walks away.

"That's fine. It's next week at three" Sam yells after him.

Bucky sighs again, he really didn't want to do this. But it killed two birds with one stone, Rainer and Sam off his back about talking to new people.

                                 ***

You head out the door, smiling at your neighbour and waving to their kids.

"Afternoon y/n, off to your meeting?" the dad asks.

"Hey Simon. Yeah, got have an audience for my jokes" Simon chuckles and waves you on.

It was a nice day, warm with a slight breeze. You tug at your collar, feeling some sweat building up. You just smile and keep walking to your favorite coffee shop. You didn't even like coffee but this shop did the best chocolate frappés, you always got extra cream on yours. With a smile and slurp you keep moving, the VA was just ahead. You could see Rieker up ahead, his wife dropping him off with a wave. You wave back and head in to help Sam set up the chairs.

"Sergeant y/l/n, how's it going?" Sam smiles as you grab a chair.

"It's just plain old y/n" you scowl at him playfully.

"There's nothing plain or old about you. You're far to bubbly for that" you shake your head when Sam winks at you.

You grab a paper coffee cup and bounce it off Sam's head with a laugh.

"Still a great shot" you wink back and he huffs a laugh.

"Yeah, yeah. Keep helping set the chairs up, I'll be right back" Sam is looking over your shoulder.

You turn to see a dark haired man hovering by the door, he's hunched in on himself and waiting for Sam. You frown when he ducks back, noticing you watch him. New people were always so nervous about coming, you understood, had been there yourself. But if Sam was taking personal notice, this guy must be really bad. You finish putting the chairs out, humming a tune under your breath as you go set up the coffee urn and cups.

You see the man shaking his head, looked like Sam couldn't convince him. Some people weren't ready to face their demons, it had taken you two years to come to one of these meetings. And now you couldn't imagine life without them, they really helped you. Your brows go up when the man steps in the room, he looked more comfortable now more people were there to hide behind.

He takes a seat at the back as Sam gets started, you hand out coffee to the regulars that you knew drank it. You head over to the man and smile, he frowns and looks down.

"Would you like a coffee?" you ask but he shakes his head.

"No thanks" you nod and sit beside him.

He frowns again when you slurp your frappé, you shrug and keep slurping. You weren't stopping until all the cream was gone. You grin when he rolls his eyes at you.