Echoes Of The Past

"You need to stop Bucky" you growl out.

"No, you need to listen. I love you damn it. And I won't just go away because you want me too" he huffs.

"Fine, I'll go away then" you walk off but hear him follow you.

You're spun round and his lips crash into yours, his hands gripping you tightly. Your backed up into a wall as he deepens the kiss. You moan as he steals your breath away, and when his mouth moves over your neck you gasp.

"I love you so much" he groans into you.

"Bucky, please" you beg.

"Please don't go" he begs back.

"I can't stay here anymore. I can't watch as she tries to break us up" you say sadly.

"Y/n, I swear to you. Nothing is going on. I don't know what else to do to prove that" he whispers.

"I know. I know it's not you, but you don't believe me about her either. We can't have a relationship when there's no trust Bucky" you kiss his lips a last time and move away from him.

He watches as you go. Your shoulders bobbing as you try to hold in the sobs. It killed you to leave him, he was the best thing to ever happen to you. But he was positive that Janelle from the investigative team at shield wasn't after him. That she was only his friend, it didn't matter that you told him otherwise. That she had literally told you that you weren't good enough for Bucky and that only she would do. He didn't believe you, so you had to go. The trust for him was there, but her. Her you wouldn't trust to save your life let alone keep her hands off Bucky. So it was time to leave, you could move to a different branch of shield. You were medical, they could use you anywhere.

***

It had been three years, three years since you had been back to the tower. Since you had seen Bucky. You had heard of some of his exploits, he and Sam were notorious. When you heard he had jumped out of a plain without a chute you had smiled and rolled your eyes. He had always been impetus, his need to do good had been one of the things that drew you to him. You felt the same way with your profession, being a doctor, healing people. It was your calling, you were good at it. You were one of the up and coming doctors at shield.

When you had requested to move, they had been surprised. But it had been for the best, and you had been scooped up immediately for your skills. It had been a good three years, your career amazing and productive. You had enjoyed it immensely. But now you were home, you had gotten a new apartment near the tower. Shield had called for you to come back to head up the new medical team in the tower. You had not been sure about it but Maria had asked as a personal favour to her and you agreed.

You head into the building, scanning your badge for the lift doors to open. It hadn't changed, the place was still bustling with agents. You watch out the elevator windows as you pass floor after floor of offices filled with busy people. When the doors open, you take a deep breath, put your head down and move quickly for your office. A few people say hello or nod as you pass by, you recognised a few and smile at them.

You duck into your office and close the door with a deep breath. You barely get to sit down before the door opens again.

"Well look what that cat dragged in" Sam grins at you.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" you get up and hug him.

"Shield said one of their best doctors was coming home and I just had to see for myself" he sits and makes himself comfortable.

"How long has it been y/n? Three years?" he asks, his brows up.

"It has" you nod and grab your lab coat.