Pulled from the Darkness 2

You huff as you lift the weights again, Steve had set you on stamina building. You didn't mind doing it but it was slow and monotonous. Plus you were sweating badly and it felt gross. You drop the weight bar and grab your water, you watch as Nat spars with Steve. They were fast and strong, Steve flies across the mats, rolling as he hits and jumping to his feet. Nat laughs and Steve grins, they were amazing to watch.

"Someone caught your eye doll?" you jump at Bucky's voice behind you.

"Just watching the pros at work" you mumble.

"We can spar if you like, I'll help you become a pro" he winks with a cheeky grin.

"Oh, uh. No, I'm good thanks" you blush and he shrugs.

"Let me know if you change your mind" he pats your shoulder and heads for the punching bags.

Your eyes widen when he pulls his t-shirt off and starts stretching his arms and shoulders. His metal arm was amazing, it gleamed in the lights making the gold trim sparkle. His body as well was all smooth muscles, his chest broad and his hips wide, you followed them down to his thighs. They make you gulp, he looked like he could snap someone's neck with those tree trunks. Your face flames red when he notices you checking him out, he grins before looking away and hitting the bag.

All the men around here were good looking, it was overwhelming. Clint had touched your back earlier and you had palpitations from it. But Bucky, patting your shoulder had left you breathless and your mind in a fog. And now the sight of him had your stomach in knots and your mouth dry. You blink and look away, you weren't inexperienced, had boyfriends, been on dates. But you were shy and were definitely not used to the attention of men.

It was no surprise really, your step sister alway out shined you. Men had lined up around the block for her, she had been lively. Always laughing and having fun. You took after your father, a quiet man who loved old movies and to read. It was always strange to you that your mother had ended up with Brice, he was a money man. Everything had to be the best and his daughter was no different. Even if it meant she had to take it from someone to get it, she had even stolen a boyfriend from you.

Nick had told your mother that all this training would help you come out of your shell, you hoped it would to. You liked being quiet and a reader, but some more life experiences would be good for you. You just hoped that you were worth all this trouble. That and you needed to protect yourself, not just from harm but from the people Nick knew were after you.

A arm wraps around your waist and you jump, Bucky was watching your face intensely. A frown creasing his brows as he watches all the emotions flit across your face.

"You okay sweetheart?" he asks.

"Yeah, just thinking is all" you smile shyly.

"Looks painful" he smiles roguishly, making you blush again.

"Yeah, I suppose so" you look down but he tilts your chin up.

"Wanna talk about it, I'm a good listener" he smiles and waggles his brows at you.

"No, I'm okay. But thank you" you nod and head for the door.

The funny thing about memories is how painful they can be, even the really good ones. They are a reminder of the things we no longer have, the people we lose along the way, the life that you had. Like memories of your father, they were always bitter sweet. But then there are the tragic ones, the memories you would love to forget but they sit at the forefront of your mind, waiting to pounce when you least expect it.

You head for the kitchen and grab some water, sipping it you head to the big windows in the back. Tony has a cubby set up with some big pillows, you sink down and just watch the world pass by. It was nice being this high up, the people below looked liked their lives were full. You smile at the kids you could see playing in a park, or the couple sharing an ice cream. Nice normal full lives.