The Clean Up 2

Bucky watches you move about your kitchen, dishing up the food and serving drinks. You were so put together, so normal in this life that he felt awkward and clumsy almost. You smile when you put the plates on the small table and sit.

"This all looks so good and there's more left over for you to take home" you grab a fork and scoop up some noodles.

Bucky sighs gratefully. You had served him what is probably a normal sized serving for a grown man, but his metabolism meant he could eat more. Way more. And you had packed it all back up for him to take home. He scoops up some noodles and sauce, smiling as he bites into it. He felt foolish, this wasn't a date but it almost felt like one. But it had been a very long time since he ate with someone, let alone female company. And you were this cute, dainty thing, set on helping him no matter what. You baffled him, he could remember people being like this. But in this day and age it was considered weird, but it didn't stop you. Which he appreciated.

He pushes his long hair back, it had just dipped onto his fork. He frowns but keeps eating.

"I can cut your hair if you like?" you smile at him.

"You can?" he asks surprised.

"I'm not a professional, but I cut my dads hair for years. I can neaten it up, short back and sides" you nod.

"That would be... nice. Thank you" his hair bothered him more than he would care to admit.

He still looked like him with it and that was the last thing he wanted. But he didn't want to look like he was from the 40's either. You were obviously more modern and with the times.

"Could... could you do it now?" he asks nervously.

"Sure. Finish eating and we'll get started" you nod.

Bucky hadn't finished a meal so fast in his life, he had tried to make it so you finished together but he really wanted the hair gone. You laughed when he put his fork down with a content sigh.

"Give me a minute" you get up and disappear into your bedroom.

When you come back, he was shocked to see hair clippers, scissors, a towel, a spray bottle and a comb. The last time he had a hair cut, his hair was hacked off in chunks just so he could see. You pull a chair out and indicate for him to sit. You place the towel over his shoulders and start combing. He was well aware his hair wasn't in the best condition. It was lank and different lengths, he had scrubbed it with soap but it didn't do much for it. He closes his eyes as you comb it, your fingers made his scalp tingle. And then you spray until his hair is damp all over. Another combing and he hears the snick of the scissors, bits of hair dropping to the floor.

It was relaxing, sitting with his eyes closed as you worked. Tilting his head this way and that, the snick, snick, snick of the scissors was practically sending him to sleep. When you've cut enough length off, your fingers trail through his hair, he shudders as your nails scrape his scalp.

"I'm going to use the clippers now" they buzz to life and press onto his neck.

You carefully move around his head, cleaning up the edges around his neck and ears. When the thickness is thinned out, you move to the front with scissors again. Trimming here and there until he has some length left at the front for him to style. You lift his chin and turn his head to make sure it was even. You didn't notice the way he was watching you, his eyes following every move you made. But you felt when his hands grip at your hips. You blink and look down, Bucky's eyes are burning into you. Without thinking, your hand moves from his chin to his cheek. He leans into your touch, but he doesn't take his eyes off you.

When you open your mouth to speak, the spell is broken. He blinks and let's go, leaning back and away from you. You don't know why, but your eyes well up with tears. It felt like a rejection, a rejection that you hadn't been expecting. You clear your throat and grab the towel from his neck, you step back and head for the kitchen to shake the hair into your bin. Bucky coughs and you look over your shoulder quickly to see him feeling his new hair cut.