𝕮⃟Hapter 48

»𝐶⃪48«
: A MESSAGE IN THE THUNDER

• • •
The dark and oppressive clouds rolled in, covering the sky, as flashes of blue and purple lightning cut through them. In an instant, a bright light illuminated the swaying forest, stirred by the howling gales.

The lightning swirled mercilessly, striking down with no mercy as raindrops fell. The thunderous roar reverberated, causing Yun Zhao's eardrums to ache. Unconsciously, he looked up, and his pupils reflected the horrifying light and shadows.

It seemed like someone was shouting, but Yun Zhao could no longer hear any other sounds around him. All he could perceive was the ear-shattering thunder that made his whole body tremble.

Soon, Yun Zhao noticed that the lightning was striking in the same location.

The bamboo forest behind the mountain!

"Ao Yu..." Yun Zhao's pupils instantly dilated, and cold sweat began to pour down his body.

He hurriedly wiped his sweaty palms on his clothes and was about to get up to go out when he collided head-on with Bai Ze, who had just arrived at the door.

Bai Ze's face was solemn, devoid of his usual playful smile. He pushed Yun Zhao back inside and swiftly closed and latched the door.

Yun Zhao's heart was growing increasingly anxious, unable to comprehend why Bai Ze was suddenly acting this way. He hurriedly pounded on the door and shouted, "Bai Ze, what are you doing? I need to find Ao Yu! He's still in the bamboo forest!"

Bai Ze firmly pressed against the door, and Wu Mu came over to lock the windows.

Taking a deep breath, Bai Ze spoke in a low voice, "Yun Zhao, listen to me. It's just a normal thunderstorm. Ao Yu will be fine. It's stormy outside, so it's better for you to stay inside until tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Again, tomorrow!" Yun Zhao exclaimed angrily, slamming his shoulder against the door, causing it to emit a muffled sound.

Yun Zhao grew increasingly desperate. Sweat poured down his forehead as he pleaded, "What is going to happen tonight? What has happened to Ao Yu?"

Bai Ze couldn't provide a reasonable explanation and chose to stay silent. Wu Mu obediently closed all the windows. Yun Zhao took a few steps back and stared at the sealed room. He gathered his unfamiliar spiritual power and directed it towards the tightly shut window.

"Bang!"

With a loud crash, the window shattered as wooden fragments rained down from above Wu Mu's head. Startled, the black cat swiftly moved away.

Shaking his head, Wu Mu looked up and saw Yun Zhao skillfully leaping with one hand on the windowsill, his flowing robes brushing past his head. Wu Mu finally reacted and quickly pounced, grabbing hold of the young man's leg.

"Wu Mu?" Yun Zhao nearly stumbled over him. He bent down, intending to grasp the back of the kitten's neck and pull him away. "Why are you here too? Let go quickly! What are you doing by clinging onto me like this?"

Wu Mu refused to let go, even using his mouth to tug on Yun Zhao's robes and pull him back. The small pointed teeth created several holes in the fabric.

"Yun Zhao, you should go back first," Bai Ze hurried over and wiped the rainwater off his face, advising, "If there's something you want to talk about, let’s go back inside and talk about it."

Outside the house, Yun Zhao sensed a different atmosphere around him. The solemnity and heaviness between heaven and earth made the air unusually stagnant, as if an invisible spider's web was closing in from all directions.