𝕮⃟Hapter 53

»𝐶⃪53«
: CONSEQUENCES OF GREEDINESS

• • •
The fragrant aroma of spiciness wafted from the wooden barrel, and a rumbling sound broke the quiet atmosphere in the kitchen. Le Huang was startled by the growling sound of his own stomach. He patted his rumbling belly with his wings and looked around cautiously.

Since dinner, he had been tempted by the aroma coming from the dining table. The bamboo shoots he was chewing on had lost their flavor.

Inside the wooden barrel, plump scallops were partially exposed, covered with several shiny shrimp with glossy shells. Beneath the fiery red chili rings, there were also chunks of mushrooms and fish skin.

The eyes of the young phoenix, Le Huang, lit up. He immediately raised his little claws and buried his head in the wooden barrel.

The octopus was dense and chewy, the shrimp was fragrant and spicy with a sweet aftertaste, and the fish skin was crisp. Le Huang's mouth was filled with spicy oil. When he lifted his head, a few chili rings were still clinging to his sharp bird beak.

It was truly delicious!

The young phoenix squinted his satisfied eyes and panted with his tongue out, resembling a little dog. He turned his head, intending to find some water to relieve the spiciness when he suddenly spotted a bowl of leftover grape puree on the stove.

He tilted his head and looked at the lotus-shaped vessel that could inject bubbles. He added water to the puree, and placed it on the vessel. Continuous streams of bubbles emerged from the bottom of the bowl. Le Huang tentatively took a sip and instantly widened his eyes.

It tastes really good!

The young phoenix was so happy that he started wobbling around, tilting his head. After some consideration, he felt that it was not satisfying enough. He flew to the edge of the wooden barrel and pecked off a piece of ice, dropping it into the bubble water.

The ice cube made a clanging sound as it touched the bowl's walls. Le Huang buried his head again and took another sip. The magnificent tail feathers swayed happily behind him, leaving a trail of golden light on the ground.

The fruit juice bubble water was refreshing and sweet, while the small seafood was enticingly spicy. By the time Le Huang had his fill, his little bird belly had become round and bulging. Taking advantage of the emptiness around him, he let out a rather inelegant belch and left the kitchen, turning his head to glance in the direction of his dormitory.

That chicken coop looked really ugly. A tasteful phoenix wouldn't want to sleep there!

With his belly full, the little phoenix tilted his head and, as usual, went to the largest banyan tree, flapping his wings in an attempt to fly back. However, he tried to take off several times, only to feel an intense heaviness in his body. No matter how hard he flapped, he couldn't get off the ground.

Le Huang lowered his head and looked at his protruding round belly. When he caught sight of himself in the reflection of the spring water, he was thunderstruck and froze in place.

He refused to admit that this chubby little phoenix with a golden hue was himself!

...

Inside the house, Yun Zhao was fast asleep when suddenly a series of urgent knocking noises startled him awake.

Yun Zhao rubbed his eyes and groggily asked, "What's going on?"

"Yun Zhao, wake up! Something's wrong with the clumsy bird!"

Wu Mu's cat claws scratched the doorstep, creating a grating sound.

"I'll go and take a look." Ao Yu suppressed his annoyance at being awakened, got up, and opened the door. He glanced down at Wu Mu and said in a calm tone, "You better have a good reason for this."