𝕮⃟Hapter 62

⟣•62•⟢
: SEASIDE FIREWORKS

• • •
Wu Mu mumbled, wanting to pounce on Yun Zhao and act spoiled. However, Ao Yu, who was by his side, swiftly grabbed the black kitten by the nape of its neck.

"You dirty ghost," Ao Yu said in disgust, tossing Wu Mu aside. "You smell like the sea. Stay away."

"Hmph!" Wu Mu unwillingly rubbed against Yun Zhao's boots. In the next moment, he twisted his little butt and ran away when faced with a deathly stare from Ao Yu.

Ao Jing wiped off the water droplets from his face and approached, bowing respectfully. "Elder brother."

Ao Yu responded with a faint "Hmm" and caught a glimpse of a broken seashell fragment in the young boy's hair, causing him to furrow his brow slightly. He reached out and removed the fragment from his hair.

"Thank you, elder brother," Ao Jing said, pleasantly surprised. Then he continued, "I played and delayed the time with them, so I didn't have time to prepare the food. I will immediately send someone to bring it."

Perhaps feeling that he appeared dirty and disheveled, Ao Jing hesitated to step back, but he was stopped by Yun Zhao.

The young man gently brushed aside the strands of hair sticking to Ao Jing's face and smiled. "Did you have fun?"

Upon hearing the question, Ao Jing looked at the companions around him, lowered his gaze, and softly replied, "Yes."

"That's good then. Ao Yu is familiar with this place, so there's no need to arrange everything," Yun Zhao said, pinching the boy's cheek and meeting his bewildered eyes. "Your own happiness is the most important."

With that, Yun Zhao stood up and glanced at the seafood on the ground, a miscellaneous collection of various items.

After a day of playing, Yun Zhao made a casual proposal. "Let's have a simple meal. Let's just grill some skewers!"

"Meow, sounds great!" Luo Xue, never picky when it came to Yun Zhao's cooking skills, was the first to agree.

The other cubs nodded one after another and resumed their previous tasks.

Yun Zhao sat down by the fire and took the cleaned squid handed to him by Ao Yu. He skillfully skewered it on a tree branch and used a small knife to spread the seasoning.

After spreading it a couple of times, Yun Zhao suddenly chuckled, seemingly reminded of something.

Ao Yu turned his head to look at him, and the firelight tinted his hair with a golden hue. "What are you laughing about?"

The fire crackled as it burned, occasionally making a sizzling sound when the damp firewood encountered the heat.

Yun Zhao inserted the seafood skewers near the fire and chuckled as if reminiscing. "I remember the first time I cooked squid. You were extremely disgusted, but ended up eating a lot of it."

A faint blush crept up Ao Yu's neck, and he absentmindedly grabbed a tree branch and fiddled with it in the sand. "The presentation was so ugly that I was afraid no one would buy it, so I just wanted to give it a try."

Yun Zhao giggled and moved closer to him, sharing the grilled seafood skewers with him.

Ao Yu accepted it, lowered his head, and took a few bites. Seeing this, the other kids immediately crowded around, clamoring for a taste.

Sun Yang, Luo Xue and the others skillfully tore and nibbled on the seafood skewered on the branches. The scallops were sweet and plump, and Luo Xue chewed with his eyes squinted, his snow-white tail swaying from side to side while Xuanming quietly pressed it down with his paw from behind.