t h r e e

Kassie pov

It had been a few weeks on tour by now and we finally had some time to just be home and relax. I've been staying most of my time at my dad's house since I haven't been able to see him much.

Today was Sunday, and usually on Sundays when we're home both my parents like to do Sunday family breakfast. My parents may not be together anymore but they've been on good terms my whole life. They're very good friends and have always tried to make sure I get time with both parents together despite them being separated.

Over the course of the last few weeks, my mom had finally broken things up with Joe after finding out he had cheated on her. I spent days after that comforting my mother. She'd finish performing and just come to the hotel and cry herself to sleep for over a week after the breakup. I hated seeing her so sad, but also I was very happy inside to not have to deal with Joe anymore, but I of course didn't let my mom know that.

I turn my phone first thing and see I have a message from mom

Mommy 🤍

Good morning baby, I just wanted to let you know I won't make it to breakfast, but I'll see you for dinner, I love you 🤍

It's okay mom, see you later 🫶

I lay in bed staring at the ceiling,  before I decide to walk downstairs in my pajamas.

"Hey kiddo" my dad says as he flips over a pancake "how'd you sleep?"

"Fine" I say still groggy

"Oh hi, I was gonna go up and check on you, it's pretty late from when you usually wake up" said Carla, my dads wife as she came into the kitchen from taking the dogs out.

"Yeah I was just exhausted"

"Your mom called she said she couldn't make it this morning so we're having dinner with her instead"

"Yeah I know she texted me"

"Make sure to wear your jersey" dad said flexing in his chiefs jersey.

I look at the clock

"Dad it's 10 why are you already in your jersey" I laugh

My dad has been a chiefs fan for as long as I can remember. He even named me Kassandra to call me KC after the Kansas City chiefs, although of course my mom didn't find out until years later otherwise she would have never let him name me Kassie, especially since my mom was an eagles fan.

"There's a game today"

"I know, but you don't have to be so enthusiastic at 10 am about it" I chuckle

"I'm telling your mother that you're making me feel bad for being excited about something" he says handing me a plate with a pancake and scrambled eggs. He's put a smiley face on my pancake with syrup.

"Thanks" I say as I sit at the kitchen island

"So while your dad watches football, I was hoping you and I could do something together" Carla says smiling while she eats breakfast next to me

"Sounds great" I smile back

I really like Carla, I feel comfortable being around her since the day I met her. She always tries to make sure that I'm happy and that I know that I come before anyone in her and my dad's life. She also texts me constantly when I'm away with mom and doesn't just let my dad text me to see if I'm okay.