e i g h t e e n

I drove to Samuel's house almost immediately after he left. I cried all the way there.

Samuel's car wasn't parked where it usually is in the driveway. Im assuming he went somewhere else before coming here.

I rung the doorbell and I was greeted by Carla, but her usual cheery self looked sad today and she's dressed up, I'm assuming she's almost off to work but not too sure as I've lost track of time.

"Hi" she says without emotion

"Hi" I say and go in for a hug like we usually greet each other but she doesn't hug me back, im assuming she's pissed at me too since Samuel probably told her and I'm not blaming her, she has all the right to be mad.

"Is Kas here?"

"Upstairs" she says turning her back on me and walking to the kitchen

"Thank you"

I walk upstairs and see my daughter's door open, she caught a glimpse of me and I did of her. Her eyes were red and puffy and her cheeks were stained with tears, her eyes had under eye bag that were so deep, she looked like hadn't slept in a week.

She saw me upstairs and walked to her door before I could come in and slammed it shut

When I got to her door I knocked but she didn't respond. So I reached for the doorknob to turn it but she had locked it for me.

I sat down with my back against her door and cried for a while, I had really fucked things up.

I heard no movement inside the room

"Kas?" I asked but she didn't respond

"Are you okay?"

I sat there for a while longer

"Im sorry" I speak again

"Sorry doesn't fix things" she finally says from inside her room. I sigh in relief, I hadn't heard that beautiful voice of hers in a week.

"I know" I say "but I still need to apologize"

"Leave"

"No sweetheart, I need to talk to you"

"Well I have nothing to say to you, so you better leave"

"I'm not leaving until you speak to me"

"I've spoken to you, so now you can leave"

"Honey you know what I mean"

She stops responding but I can hear her sob from the other side of the door. And I can hear the front door close, Carla's probably left .

"Please baby"

I still hear no response

After a few hours of a one sided conversation, I'm finally fed up

"Kassandra open the door"

No answer

"Kassandra if you don't open this door I will go get the key"

There's no noise inside the room, so I go downstairs and get the keys to her room, from the drawer in the kitchen where Samuel and Carla keep the bedroom keys in case of an emergency.

I go upstairs and open her door with the key

But my daughter is pushing the door to close it again so that I can't push it open it.

"KASSANDRA OPEN THIS DOOR"

"NO" she says and I can hear her crying

She keeps pushing it from her side and I continue to try to open it.