Chapter 26

SAMS POV

"I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't," I told Rick.

"What? Why? I just poured my heart out to you, and you can't?" He replied.

"I'm dying, Rick. I know I am. I want nothing more than to be yours, but in the end it'll be easier for you." I replied.

"We're all going to die," Rick replied, confusion all over his face.

"I talked to Deanna this morning. She told me that Mike didn't use the regular  shots they use on people when they were going crazy." I explained.

"What did he use?" He asked.

"She doesn't know. She thinks he used one of their lethal ones." I replied.

"Why do they even have those?" Rick asked, standing up.

"I don't know." I mumbled.

"You aren't going to die, alright? I'm sure they can flush your veins out or something." Rick stammered.

"Rick, I'm at peace with it. Everything's going to be okay whether I die or not." I replied.

"Well I'm not alright with it." He replied.

-

I stood up from the wheelchair, my legs falling out from under me.

I hit the floor, hearing footsteps running into the living room.

"Stop doing that unless someone's with you." Rick ordered.

"Deanna came over. She said she's going to get someone that knows how to flush this stuff out of me- to see if it'll help." I explained, Rick picking me up.

"When?" He asked.

"Tomorrow." I answered.

"Where are you going?" He asked once I got back in my wheelchair.

"Back over there." I replied.

"Why?" He inquired.

"I'm not going to let you get attached. We've both lost people we love, and I don't want you to go through it again." I replied.

"Stop talkin' like that." He replied, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm just trying to make it easier for you when I do die." I replied.

"It's not going to be easy. I've loved you for a long time, I'm already attached. Whatever you do isn't going to make the pain less if you die." He stated.

"What?" Carl asked, freezing at the bottom of the steps.

"Car--"

"You're dying?" Carl asked, cutting me off.

"Yes, unless they can stop this." I answered.

There wasn't a point in lying to him.

"Stop what?" He asked.