fifty-one

Nicki POV

I wandered around until I found an open studio and since Mel arrived, we've been holed up in here while Bey and Robyn worked out their shit. I wasn't lying to Robyn about the food though, and after us waiting about thirty minutes, Solange came barging into the room with a large pizza box, a bag with cups, a liter of Coke and paper plates. After eating, I was bored enough to check my voicemail and discovered a new one my ex had left.

I'm so sorry, baby. I never meant to hurt you. It was a stupid mistake. I really fucked up and whatever you want me to do for there to be an us again, I'll do. Please gimme a chance to make it right. I'll do anything... just... just call me. I lov-

Nicki: Yo. On some real shit dis bitch betta stop hittin' my line.
Mel: Who?
Nicki: *rolls eyes* Cynthia.
Mel: Oh? What she say?

I put my phone on speaker and replayed the message.

Mel: Aww! Come on Nicki, it's been months. Forgive her aready.
Nicki: Nah, chill. I'm good.
Mel: She made a mistake an' she clearly regrets it. She been sweatin' you for months.
Nicki: I don't care. Dat shit wasn't a mistake. She was tryna get back at me for keepin' Meek around eventhough she knows I had no choice. That's the only reason she went out to the club wit' dat community bitch!

Mel just stared at me for a second and then shrugged, munching on the pizza crust she'd stolen off of my plate.

Mel: But the ting is, you did have a choice.

She doesn't get it. I looked at Solange for support but she turned away from me, meddling with something on the soundboard.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Bey POV

As if she were reading my mind, she suddenly stopped a few feet from me and just stood there waiting. When she realized I wasn't going to speak, she went first.

Rih: I didn't tink you were gonna come.
Bey: I didn't even know you'd be here.

She sighed and looked away.

Rih: So, dey didn't...
Bey: Nope. But the funny thing is, had I known, I still would've come.

Her eyes met my own, surprise and hope glistening in her hazel-green orbs.

Bey/Rih: I-
Rih: *chuckles* You go first.
Bey: I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everythin'. I shouldn't have assumed you cheated on me because I know you neva have and neva will. Sometimes when you go out, my imagination runs wild and to see those photos that night... like a thousand different ridiculous scenarios ran through my head and I just... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have walked out on you. You're everything to me. I have never loved anyone the way I love you. And I-I'm..

I broke eye contact looking to the ceiling for a second, in the hope of preventing the tears from falling. I needed to get this all out and that won't happen if I'm bawling. She reached out to touch me and I shook my head. I saw the flash of hurt and gave her a small smile to reassure her that I meant no offense. Taking a moment to calm down a little, I felt I was ready to continue.

Bey: When I saw you with Travis, I was devastated.

She looked away guiltly and took a step back.

Rih: I didn' even know you were 'dere 'til Mel tol' me...
Bey: I guess that's a good thing because in that moment, I finally realized. I'd gotten so used to controlling everyone and everything, especially you and what I saw was a reality check. As Nicki reminded me, the only reason I had any type of say in what you did is because you allowed it and that power can easily be taken from me. I took your love for granted at times and this last time was a great example of my foolishness. I want.. no, need you.
Rih: *sighs* Bey-
Bey: I know you have Travis and I-
Rih: Beyoncé.
Bey: Yes?
Rih: Look at me.