Haunted

Rih POV

I led Rita all the way to the back, through the kitchen and out the door leading to the dumpsters. I walked a little further down and rested my back against the stone wall. She huffed, scrunching her nose up.

Rita: Was all of this absolutely necessary? It stinks out here.
Rih: Yes.
Rita: Ok. What is it, then?

Lifting my hand to run it through my hair, I saw her flinch.

Rih: Not gonna hit you Rita, relax. Jus'... why da fuck you got Dudley 'round my son? Ain't 'e violatin' the contract?
Rita: Technically, no. Rohan doesn't know anything. Dud's only come 'round as his mommy's friend, nothing more.
Rih: An' to you?
Rita: *confused* To me, what?
Rih: Y'all jus' friends?

Her eyes widened and she frowned, crossing her arms.

Rita: I really don't see how that's any of your business, Robyn. *uncrosses arms* Seriously, what is going on with you, tonight?
Rih: Nothin', jus' don' want 'im 'round my son.
Rita: Why?
Rih: I jus' don't!
Rita: *annoyed* WHY?! He's perfectly harmless and last time I checked, you're the dangerous one. So I'll ask again: why?

I shrugged my shoulders.

Rita: Look, Dudley and I aren't a thing, he was just trying to piss you off. Just, please tell me why.

Rita took a step back and glared at me and I looked back at her, focusing on keeping my face impassive. The 'why' is none of her business as far as I'm concerned, so I damn sure don't owe her an explanation for shit.

Rita: Right. No answer as always.
Rih: Everything will be ok if you jus' do what I say when I say it. You ain't gotta argue all d'time.

Rita got in my space and jabbed me in the chest.

Rita: I argue because it's quite obvious that you still think me your bloody property! After all this time, you--
Rih: -I didn' say 'dat. I neva said 'dat.
Rita: Oh, come off it! It's always been this way. I mean-- Aubrey, Jonah, Rakim, Evan, Dave and - oh god - Calvin! Don't even get me started on Cara! No attempt at subtelty, there! *laughs*
Rih: Rita--
Rita: No, no, wait, I'm not done! Then there's Lewis and-and Yoní, Wiz, Chris--
Rih: -Stop. You lost Calvin on your own, you didn't need my 'elp!
Rita: Fuck you! You knew I loved him and you did what you always do: sabotage! You fed him lies for months, then made him choose between us even though you knew you don't give a fuck about him!

Her voice was hoarse and her eyes glistened with unshed tears. I sighed and lifted my arms to hug her but she pushed me back.

Rita: I loved him, Robyn!

I stared at her as she angrily dabbed at the corners of her eyes.

Rih: *mumbles* Well he obviously wasn' good enough for you.
Rih: Who IS?! I know I can sometimes be a difficult and clingy woman - with a child to boot - so I have no delusions of rainbows and unicorns when it comes to love. All I want... I just want my chance to be happy. To love and be loved.
Rih: It's not my fault you got bad taste.
Rita: Yeah, *points at Rih* Exhibit A.
Rih: What you want from me, man?
Rita: What do I want from YOU?! It's simple, really: Piss. OFF! Eighty percent of my relationships and even some completely platonic friendships have ended because of you! Bugger off and let me live my life!

I waited a minute this time before slowly raising my arms and gently wrapping them around her. Her arms hung loosely by her sides but at least she didn't push me.

Rih: Ok, I'll stop. I promise.

She snorted and laughed humorlessly into my shoulder.

Rita: *mumbles* No, you won't.