Dancing On My Own

Bey POV

Somebody said you've got a new friend...

I walked into the back entrance of the party, heart beating fast. Partly from the Hennessey, partly from the excitement of seeing Robyn again. It's been forever for me. I heard she was in L.A. recently, but I figured since she didn't hit me up for anything but to wish me a happy birthday, she didn't want to hear from me.

But does he love you better than I can?

After kissing a thousand people hello and having a quick conversation with Justin, I dance-walked my way through the party for nearly an hour, surprised and a little letdown that I still haven't seen her.

And yeah, I know it's stupid...

What will I even say when I do find Robyn? I came here for selfish reasons. I just wanted to see her again. Which would be cool if we were still together or I at least wanted that. But I'm still twisted in the head about everything.

But I just gotta see it for myself.

Someone tapped my shoulder and I spun around to see Robyn's bestfriend Mel standing there. She leaned into me to be heard over the music.

Mel: What's up?? I didn't expect to see you here tonight! Too bad you came so late, Mama aready lef'!
Bey: Well... *looks around* Robyn invited me like a month ago and I already cleared a few days to make sure I could come, so why not?

I'm in the corner, watchin' you kiss him, oh oh ohhh...

She leaned away and gave me sad eyes, chewing her lip before leaning back into my ear.

Mel: Yeah... so, um, whatchu sippin' on?
Bey: I had a few shots of Henny before I got here. Do you have that?
Mel: Yeah! I got you. Be right back!

And I'm right over here, why can't you see me? Oh oh ohhh...

I watched her walk off and disappear in the mass of bodies. Wandering around, I realized I should've asked Mel if she was even still here. Great, now I've lost Melissa too. I heard cheering and turned to my left, and my heart dropped. I finally found the girl I was looking for, dancing in the corner with some guy.

And I'm givin' it my all, but I'm not the girl you're takin' home. Ooh ooh oooh...

I grabbed a manly hand and danced my way over as close as I possibly could be without being noticed by them. I snuck glances while they seemed to be lost in their own world, not paying anyone else any attention. I pushed the guy I was dancing with away and he resisted until a guard discreetly removed him from my space.

And I keep dancin' on my own.

I stopped dancing altogether when they started making out. The love of my life and who I could now indentify as Travis Scott, were kissing 5 feet away from me. My heart shattered into a million little pieces and I felt like I could barely breathe.

So far away, but still so near.

I watched Travis whisper something and a few seconds later, grab her hand leading her out the door I came in. I leaned against a wall, staring off into space for longer than I thought.

Mel: Hey! Where were you?! I couldn't find you anywhere!
Bey: It's... it's ok. I'm gonna go.

The lights come on, the music dies.

Security escorted me out just as the party was winding down. I followed them zombie-like towards the car waiting for me. I got in and closed my eyes, hoping to hold back the tears still threatening to fall.