*139*

"Noah, come here, we have to get you dressed!" I smiled, scooping him up to get him dressed in his birthday party outfit.

Joe was already wearing one of the small birthday party hats that we had bought for everyone to wear.

"Oh my God!" I laughed, "You look hilarious."

"It's cute!" Joe defended jokingly.

I went and changed Noah's clothes and Noelle's nappy had to be changed too, so I changed her nappy while I was at it.

"Our birthday boy is one today!" I smiled, holding Noah.

"I can't believe it!" Joe smiled, already picking at the snacks I had set out for the party.

Everyone was set to arrive in about five to ten minutes, and Joe and I had spent all morning cleaning the flat and getting ready for this party. I got a cute little birthday banner and little confetti to put on the table. We also had a cake in the fridge for him that read, 'Happy 1st Birthday Noah!' We got it from the same bakery that we bought the small cake after the court hearing for Noelle's adoption.

"Zoe texted me saying her and Alfie are on their way," Joe informed me, "Oh, and that Marcus is with them."

"Okay," I smiled.

"Mummy!" Noelle whined.

She's been a bit cranky today and I think it's because she's a bit jealous of the attention that Noah is getting because it's his birthday.

"Come here darling," I smiled, bending down to pick her up, "Don't worry, your birthday is only in three months," I laughed.

"That's crazy to think about," Joe shook his head, "That they are only nine months apart."

"I know," I laughed, "Does that mean they'll be in the same year in school?"

"Hm, I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see," Joe shrugged.

Only a few minutes later, Zoe, Alfie, and Marcus arrived.

"Hello!" I smiled, now carrying Noah as I opened the door.

"Hi! Hello Birthday Boy!" Zoe grinned, taking Noah from me as he reached for Zoe too.

"I can't believe he's already one!" Alfie shook his head, laughing.

"It's crazy!" Marcus agreed.

"I know! Well, come on in, make yourself at home," I smiled, closing the door behind them.

"Aye! What's up?" Joe greeted, giving Zoe a hug and then following with Alfie and then Marcus.

About ten minutes later, Caspar and Oli arrived, followed by Tanya and Jim, then Louise and she brought Darcy with her. Darcy played with Noelle and they seemed to get along well enough, Darcy likes taking a bit of care of Noelle. Anyway, it entertained and made Noelle in a bit of a better mood.

We all caught up with each other and Noah was passed around to everyone before ending up in Joe's arms.

"Anyone want anything to drink?" Joe asked.

He went into the kitchen and got everyone's drinks for them.

We decided that we would celebrate with my mum and James probably tomorrow and just go out for a meal in celebration. However, because it's just Noah's first birthday, it's nothing he'll actually remember, so other than just having a small celebration like we are doing, Joe and I don't see the actual point in having a full-blown celebration for just his first birthday.

The small celebration was a lot of fun, everyone just kind of relaxed as we ate and chatted. Of course, we sang 'Happy Birthday' to Noah as we cut the cake for him, but he just seemed a bit more confused than anything.