*188*

"I'm hungry," Ozzy whined.

"Mummy and I are making dinner right now," Joe said, pouring me a glass of wine while I continued making dinner.

"Dinner's almost ready, baby," I smiled.

Joe sipped his beer and leaned against the counter, watching me.

"Thanks for helping," I joked.

"It's been my pleasure," Joe laughed, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

He pushed himself off of the counter and made an effort to actually help me. He started cleaning up some of the mess I had made while cooking.

Once everything was ready, I plated it all up and portioned it out for the kids, giving them their dinner first and plating up some for Joe as well.

"Minxie, come and eat," Joe said with a mouth full of food.

"I'm just going to finish cleaning up a bit and then I'll eat."

The kids were sat at the table and Joe had jumped and sat on the counter with his plate in one hand and a fork in the other.

I cleaned up the kitchen before eating my plate of food with Joe.

"Thank you Mummy," The kids smiled graciously as they took their empty plates to the sink.

"There's more if you want it," I smiled.

They each sat their plates in the sink before running back to the livingroom to continue playing their games and watching their shows.

"I'll do the dishes, relax and drink your wine," Joe smiled, topping up my glass.

I gave him a kiss before taking my glass of wine and going into our bedroom. I turned on the lamps before changing into a big t-shirt to wear as pyjamas. 

"Come on darlings, go get ready for bed," I said to the kids as I walked back into the livingroom.

They all went and got ready for bed before coming and giving Joe and I kisses and returning to their rooms. Joe went in and tucked them all in and since he was gone for a bit I assumed he read them a book each.

I laid in bed and waited Joe's return.

Joe had a new beer in his hand as he came in the room, turning off the lights before closing our bedroom door.

"Come here," Joe hummed, pulling me close to him as he crawled into bed.

"Careful, don't spill your beer," I laughed.

"I won't, I won't." 

I gave Joe a kiss.

He laid down next to me and propped himself up with some pillows so he could continue drinking his beer. I scrolled on my phone, browsing through Twitter and Instagram.

"Slow down," Joe said, reading along as he watched over my shoulder.

"Look on your own phone!" I laughed.

"No, your's is better," Joe smiled, kissing the top of my head.

Joe's phone buzzed on the bedside table.

"Pick it up, someone's calling you," I nudged him.

"Hello," Joe answered.

I couldn't hear who was on the other end and I couldn't make out what was being said either. 

"Erm, who's asking?" Joe hesitated, "... No, I'm afraid you have the wrong number, sorry," He said before hanging up.

"Who was it?"

"I don't know," Joe shrugged, quite obviously lying.

"Joe? Really?"

"Minx, I don't know who it was!" He said defensively.

"Fine, okay, whatever," I shrugged, continuing to scroll on my phone.

I locked my phone and connected it to the charger before turning off my lamp and turning over in bed.

"Why do you feel the need to lie to me?!" I said raising my voice

"Minx..."

"What Joe?! What?!" I spat.

"Minx! It wasn't even anyone looking for me! It was someone looking for you!" He said angrily.

"Okay, well I'm right here! I can speak for myself!"

"Well I don't want you talking to this person!"

"Who the f.uck was it, Joe?"

"Jack..."

"What? Jack as in...?"

"Yeah," Joe huffed.

"Joe, I'm sorry," I shook my head.

How did Jack get Joe's phone number? Also, why is he trying to contact me almost seven years later? I thought I made it clear that I need to exclusively be with Joe and that we made a vow. I had broken it before, but so did Joe. But we've mended it together, we never gave up. But still, that doesn't answer any of the millions of questions running around my head. Why?

"I think sometimes you need to step back and see that I'm trying to protect you sometimes. Curiosity kills the cat," Joe huffed, turning over in bed and also turning off his lamp.

"Joe... Joe please I'm sorry," I said quietly, "Please don't go to sleep angry with me," I begged.

"Minx, why don't you trust me?" Joe hummed.

"I do trust you, I'm sorry. I don't know why I doubted you so much."

"You should feel more secure in our relationship, because I promise you I'm not going anywhere," Joe said plainly.

"I'm not either," I nodded.

Joe gave me a small peck on the lips.

Neither of us said anything else before falling asleep.

My head was full of thoughts and questions. I felt almost concerned. Why is Jack trying to contact me? What could he possibly have, or want to say? It's been almost seven years since I last saw him. Sure, we ended fine, but still the whole scenario wasn't a good one. I mean I was cheating on my husband for Christ's sake, and Jack knew it too. 

Flashbacks of being with Jack ran through my head, how we met, how everything I did was just as revenge towards Joe. I then lied to Joe and continued the affair. I abused the trust that Joe and I had built together and formed our family around. Yet we somehow managed to fix it all, we repaired the hole in the boat before we sank. Then, just like that, a less than thirty-second phone call manages to send waves crashing against the boat. Surely Joe has to have thoughts and questions running around in his head. I can't be the only one that's remotely worried, concerned, or just even curious as to what I going on. As to why there's a sudden need for contact.

Eventually, I fell asleep, suddenly exhausted after having all of these questions running laps around my mind. Joe, thankfully, wrapped his arm around me. A movement he made while asleep, making me feel safe, loved, and content. Once his arm was wrapped around me, questions of Jack soon dissipated, and I was just left with a full heart of love for Joe and our family.

 °